Translation:Pourquoi eux ?
This is a useful page for you all: https://www.thoughtco.com/french-stressed-pronouns-1368932
"ils" is used exclusively as a single subject.
this pronoun takes other forms in other cases:
- direct object: je les vois (I see them)
- indirect object: je leur parle (I talk to them / parler à)
- stressed pronoun after a preposition: je pars avec eux, sans eux, après eux...
- stressed pronoun in a short question: pourquoi eux ?
- stressed pronoun in a short answer: qui est là ? eux ! (who's there? them)
- stressed pronoun as a multiple subject: eux et toi partent demain (they and you are leaving tomorrow)
Note that pronoun "elles" does not have a specific stressed form.
In French, "elles" can be a subject pronoun (translated in English as "they"), an emphatic object pronoun ("them" or "they"), or a pronoun following a preposition ("them"). Try to think about grammatical roles, rather than memorizing that a word means something all the time (because, eventually, as you learn more grammar, it might not).
"ils" is only used as a single subject:
"les" is the direct object form: je les mange (I eat them)
"leur" is the indirect object form: je leur parle (I talk to them)
"eux" is the stressed pronoun form: moi et eux mangeons (dual subject); pourquoi eux ? (short question); non, pas eux (short answer); je vais avec eux (after a preposition).
I do not know where to post this request so I post it here. My request is to be able to copy to a clip board some comments like the explanation SITESURF just explained about PRONOUNS to keep and study or reread. Links are no problem naturally they can be copied. I am referring to good explanations given. My wish list is to be able to copy them!!