"How old are you?"

Translation:Скільки тобі років?

October 23, 2016

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/breadstick42

if I were to say "Скільки маєш років?", would I sound unnatural, or just be completely wrong?

June 6, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/Enrique465433

I have lived in Ukraine over 20 years and never heard it said that way.

September 22, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/agnieha6

I cannot find "i" on my Russian keyboard, it is supposed be be between shift and З but I do not see it D:

October 23, 2016

[deactivated user]

‹і› has been absent on Russian keyboard layouts for about a century, because the 1917 orthographic reform abolished the letter ‹і› in Russian. So, unless you own a typewriter from the early 20th century, you won't have ‹і› in your Russian keyboard layout.

What you need is an Ukrainian keyboard layout, not Russian. ‹і› is placed in the third row there, where the S key is placed on the QWERTY keyboard. Here's the layout 'Ukrainian (Enhanced)' available in Windows Vista and later:

Top row: apostrophe and hryvnia, if typed with a shift key, number 1 or exclamation mark with shift, number 2 or quotation sign with shift, number 3 or number sign with shift, number 4 or semicolon, number 5 or percent sing, number 6 or colon, number 7 or question mark, number 8 or asterisk, number 9 or opening parenthesis, number 9 or closing parenthesis, hyphen or underscore, equals sing or plus sign, backspace. Second row: tab, й, ц, у, к, е, н, г, ш, щ, з, х, ї. Third row: caps lock, ф, і, в, а, р, о, л, д, ж, є, slash or backslash. Fourth row: left shift, ґ, я, ч, с, м, и, т, ь, б, ю, full stop or comma, right shift. The Enter key is shown on the right, spanning the second and third row.

Here's the default Ukrainian layout in Linux, Ukrainian (Unicode):

This keyboard layout is mostly the same as the previous one. However, the first key in the first row doesn't have hryvnia sing. Instead, it has a curved, typographically-correct form of apostrophe if you press it with shift. Also, additional letters are available on AltGr: AltGr+apostrophe gives a stress mark over the previous vowel, AltGr+shift+apostrophe gives a tilde. AltGr+3 gives a paragraph mark, AltGr+Shift+3 gives a hryvnia  sign. AltGr+4 is a dollar sign, AltGr+Shift+4 is euro sign, AltGr+5 is a degree symbol, AltGr+6 is a 'less than' mark, AltGr+7 is a 'greater than' mark, AltGr+8 is a bullet, AltGr+9 and AltGr+0 are opening and closing square brackets, and Shift+AltGr+9 and Shift+AltGr+0 are curved braces respectively. AltGr+hyphen is a dash, and Shift+AltGr+hyphen is a minus sign. AltGr+equals is 'not equals' sign, and Shift+AltGr+equals is 'plus or minus' sign. AltGr+У gives a Belarusian short U (ў) letter, У with a lower semicircle above it. AltGr+К gives a 'record label' mark. AltGr+Е gives a russian Ё, Е with dots above it. AltGr+Ї gives a russian hard sign. AltGr+Ґ gives a pipe, AltGr+Shift+Ґ gives a reversed slash. AltGr+І gives a russian ы, which looks like a soft sign with і near it. AltGr+є gives Russian э, reversed є. AltGr+С gives a copyright symbol. AltGr+T gives a trademark symbol. AltGr+Б and AltGr+Ю give a typographically-correct opening and closing quotation marks, and AltGr+Shift+Б and AltGr+Shift+Ю give alternative opening and closing quotation marks preferred in italic. AltGr+full stop gives a slash, and Shift+AltGr+full stop is an ellipsis, looking like three dots.

As you can see, the Linux version allows typing Russian letters, too. So if you're planning to learn both Russian and Ukrainian, you might look into such multilingual layouts. The Linux layout is available for Windows as a separate download, too. However, typing Russian in such layouts is cumbersome, because Russian letters were added as an after-thought and require pressing AltGr a lot.

October 24, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/skstudio
    Mod

Using a multilingual layout is not as cumbersome as it may seem. I use one for EN/DE/TR and it is pretty convenient.

October 24, 2016
    Learn Ukrainian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.