Forming The Plural [UK. GRAMMAR PORTAL]
Ukrainian is an East Slavic language spoken primarily in Western and Central Ukraine by 40 million people making it the third most spoken Slavic language by number of native speakers in the world!
If there are any terms you do not understand please refer to the grammar glossary
What is the plural?
In Ukrainian there are two numbers, singular and plural. If there is one thing, we use the singular (e.g. apple) but if there is more than one thing, we use the plural (e.g. apples).
How do we form the plural in Ukrainian?
Here is a guide to forming the plurals. Please make sure you've read this post before continuing.
- For masculine/feminine hard nouns, remove the final vowel (if any) and add -и
Суд - Суди Школа - Школи
- For neuter hard nouns, replace the -о with -а
Яблуко - Яблука
- For masculine/feminine soft nouns, remove the final vowel (if any and add -і
Лікар - Лікарі Диня - Дині
But note that if і comes before й or я they change to ї
Водій - Водії Надія - Надії
- For neuter soft nouns, remove the final -е and replace it with -я
Море - Моря
But note that the large number of neuter words that end in a double consonant + я don't change to form the plural so питання can mean a question or questions.
- For masculine/feminine mixed nouns, replace the final vowel (if any) with -і
Читач - Читачі Душа - Душі
- For neuter mixed nouns, replace the final -е with -а
Прізвище - Прізвища
I know it's a lot. But don't worry! You don't have to learn it all now. You can use this as a reference and learn as you go!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)