"Does the shark too jump out from the sea?"

Translation:A cápa is kiugrik a tengerből?

November 4, 2016

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Bastette54

Pretty consistently, this course has insisted that in a question or negation, the preverb is separate and comes after the verb, but "A cápa is ugrik ki a tengerből?" was rejected. Was my translation not as good, or should I report this?

November 4, 2016

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/vvsey

It is a question of emphasis. When a verb is intact with its preverb, then, invariably, the emphasis is on the verb itself. Now, in a significant portion of questions and negations, the emphasis is not on the verb. Most prominently in questions with question words (who, what, where, etc.). In those questions, the emphasis is naturally on the question word itself. The verb is right after the question word, and it is split, no emphasis there. A similar situation occurs with many negations. The verb itself is not negated, something else is negated instead. And that something else is placed right in front of the split verb.
There are, of course, questions without question words. And there are negations where the verb itself is negated. You will find the verb intact in those cases. There are quite a few examples of that in this course, as well. The above sentence is one such example.

"A cápa is kiugrik a tengerből?"

There is no question word. This is a yes/no question. A very typical example of the verb being in focus, and being intact, of course. The focus of the question is the action. The verb is the focus.

So, it is "kiugrik", not "ugrik ki".

Now, I am not saying that "ugrik ki" as absolutely impossible here but let's say it is a very special case, and way too advanced stuff. It would express a very much in-the-moment sense, something that is happening right now or just about to happen as we are watching. In a special context.
But, for the purposes of this course, I would say you need to use "kiugrik".

November 5, 2016
Learn Hungarian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.