"Dy feiro di"

Translation:Your pen

November 11, 2016



Might be the wrong discussion to ask, but i am an American. Is this the word for the word PEN, or is this the Welsh-ized version of a "Biro"? I know it can be used in place of each other, but what if i want to talk about a Non-biro brand pen?

November 11, 2016

  • 1529

The problem for Welsh is that the word 'pen' means head and so it needs another word for the English pen.

There are various options, a very posh word is the 'ysgrifbin' which is the word for the fountain or cartridge pen.

Since the 'biro' brand ballpoint was the original and for a while also in English, at least in the UK, was the usual word for a ballpoint pen it was adapted into Welsh as the word for a ballpoint pen.

November 11, 2016


Great answer, diolch!

November 11, 2016


Hmm... Dy feiro di" and Dy feiro du"... anyone else caught out?

November 27, 2016


This keeps getting me too!

June 4, 2017
Learn Welsh in just 5 minutes a day. For free.