"You are husband and wife."

Translation:Ви чоловік і дружина.

2 years ago

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/7azaqEl
7azaqEl

Is there any nuance in which of the three words for "and" is used? My initial guess was that one uses "i" or "a" after a consonant but that seems to be invalidated by "ви чоловік та дружина".

2 years ago

[deactivated user]

The distinction between і/та and а is that а implies some contrast. It's used when joining sentences (вона́ чита́ла кни́жку, а я диви́вся серіа́л 'she read the book, and I've watched the TV series' — here, two actions are contrasted). It's not usually used for joining just words or phrases, expect when one of then is negated (я чита́в кни́жку, а не диви́вся серіа́л 'I've read the book, not watched the TV series').

І implies lack of contrast, it joins different things that are thought to be more-or-less in the same group. It's works both for joining sentences (вона́ чита́ла кни́жку, і я чита́в кни́жку 'she read the book, and I've read the book'), single words or phrases (я чита́в кни́жку і диви́вся серіа́л). І has a variant й after vowels, used for euphony (я чита́в кни́жку й диви́вся серіа́л is slightly better than я чита́в кни́жку і диви́вся серіа́л).

Та is used as a replacement for «і». If a sentence has two-level joins, it works best if you use both of them, e.g. «my mother and her sister, and my father»: «моя ма́ти й її сестра та мій батько» or «моя ма́ти та її сестра́ й мій батько». Here, it's not a list of 3 people. It's a list of 2 points: 'my mother and her sister' and 'my father'. Using both «і» («й») ad «та» helps to understand the sentence structure.

However, «та» can sometimes mean 'but', especially when joining sentences.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/TobyBartels
    TobyBartels

So is this what the priest says at the end of the marriage ceremony?

1 year ago
    Learn Ukrainian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.