https://www.duolingo.com/Motodraconis

Mobile/Android version of Hungarian running!

Motodraconis

I honestly can't tell if this was the fault of my phone, which broke on Thursday, or a new thing, but from last week where my phone was telling me Hungarian was not available, I dug out my small and very cheap android tablet yesterday and discovered Hungarian running in the app version alongside my German and French.

Learning Hungarian is so much easier in the mobile App! Of course, by easier I mean, more enjoyable, more of a fun game, easier to complete a skill or piece together meanings than in the desktop version, which by contrast is more "aaaargh I'm going to start sobbing in a minute" and "aaargh, I'll have reached level ten and only completed 4 skills as I have to keep repeating everything. Aaargh!"

This is not a criticism of Duolingo or Hungarian by the way. I have prior experience of French and German so it's generally easier for me with those languages. In Hungarian I'm such a noob it's much harder, and I feared I'd reach a stage where I just couldn't continue from feeling just too lost and stupid. That stage may still come! But for now the mobile app has given me a second wind.

Thank you, thank you to the guys who sorted it out!

Of course, as when I was re-learning my German (from rudimentary prior knowledge of lessons at school, which I found pretty hard at the time) I ended up using the mobile app because it seemed "easier" and quicker to power through the tree. So I felt a bit guilty, almost as if I was cheating compared to other people that might only be learning on the desktop version. But, I think the constant repetition helps. And in learning Hungarian on Duolingo, I've resolved to not get stressed out about how slow I am, or try to work out any systems, but to just putter on, with lots of repetition until it sticks. However long that might take.

In other language adventure news(!) Last week I bumped into "George The Hungarian" having a smoke with a couple of other smokers outside the staff room (I'm based in the UK) and tried some of my rudimentary Hungarian out on him. "Szia! Hogy vagy?" George started to reply, I'd told him a month ago I intended to try and learn Hungarian one day, he'd even offered to help me. Course, I had no clue of his reply, stock or otherwise.

However, further interaction was disrupted by the thunderstruck expressions on the 2 other blokes smoking.

Turns out they were both Hungarian. A couple of film makers George had invited up to do a lecture and presentation (George lectures in Media and Film.) I'd like to say they were impressed, but I fear they were more horrified at my appalling mangling of their mother tongue in the space of just 3 words. Apparently this is the common reaction when noobs attempt Hungarian on natives...?

1. What the f**k did you just try to say? (Swiftly followed by)
  2. Why on earth do you want to learn Hungarian?

Yes, I got both reactions, and yes, three words was about all I could manage, and I was barely understandable! Still, we had a nice chat. An English person wanting to learn Hungarian, it's a novelty. They invited me to their lecture but sadly I had work to do. However, I've told George I'll be back to try more of my Hungarian out on him, in a year's time when I have reached the stage of constructing bizarre garbled sentences such as "I'd like to percolate your washboard" when I intended to say "I'd like to ask your opinion." That sort of thing.

Fun!

1 year ago

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Garrett2015
Garrett2015

Haha! Thanks for the great story and hilariously relatable descriptions of what it's like to be a student of Hungarian!

Personally, I think the app version is much easier—and more fun—but I also think my favorite is the desktop version, since it has the added benefits of grammar notes for each lesson and discussions for each problem. I spent months using Duolingo only on my phone, unaware that these features existed, and when I discovered them so much made more sense and I could finally advance at a much faster pace since it was actually being explained as I went on.

Either way, find whatever works best for you and keep at it! Sok szerencsét kivánok!

1 year ago

Motodraconis

I think I'll need to flip back between the two, read up on the desktop and power up on the app. Hard to tell if I have any strategy for learning Hungarian. German is my priority as I may be job hunting in Germany in the next few years. And yet, I keep getting drawn back to loiter about attempting Hungarian!

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/AKicsiMacska
AKicsiMacska

Hungarian worked for me eon mobile the day it was released into beta

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/volumniax
volumniax

I love your story -- I keep watching Hindi's incubator percentage climb higher, and wonder how far I'd have to get before being brave enough to try a bit with coworkers. Good for you!

I absolutely agree about the value of just grinding on with the repetition, and trying not to get too stressed about how long it takes stuff to sink in. EVENTUALLY.

1 year ago

Motodraconis

Hindi seems less intimidating for talking to co-workers to me than Hungarian, possibly because being a bit of a Bollywood fan the language seems more familiar and accessible to the casual listener. I'll sing along without having a clue of what is being said! By contrast, I have no experience of Hungarian songs or movies, which makes the feel and cadence of the language quite mysterious. Go for it is all I can say, if you don't mind the odd bit of good humoured sniggering and endless gentle corrections! It's German that stresses me at the moment, I've a fair few German chums and while bursts of chatting (or occasional very short blog post attempts) in German is doable, I can never open my mouth without making sentences that are a bit er... "quirky" and getting corrected. For example, "can you pour me a book?" It gets a bit intimidating, as with my French I know the appropriate words, but with German I invariably fluff it. (Though I don't have the nerve to mini-blog in French as my spelling is appalling.) The number of times German chums say to me "I understand what you're saying, but..."

1 year ago
Learn Hungarian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.

Learn Hungarian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.