"Yes, I have porridge."

Translation:Так, у мене є каша.

2 years ago

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/kurysh
kurysh

It seems that "у мене" could be changed to "в мене" here, couldn't it?

2 years ago

[deactivated user]

Yes, indeed. У/В are positional variants.

This is pretty tricky because there is a rule, but this rule doesn't seem to reflect the real usage. According to the rule, you write «у» after a pause and before a consonant. However, actually, «в» is often encountered in this position.

Here's a comparison of frequency of у in different combinations according to the rule and according to the real usege in Ukrainian classics (the table taken here):

Here's what this table says:

• After a vowel, and before a consonant в, ф, or a consonant cluster like св, the rule requires always to use «у», but in real life, «в» is used in 37,2%.
    • After a vowel, and before all the other consontnas, the rule requires writing в, and this is indeed followed in 92,1%.
    • Between vowels, the rule requires writing в, and this is indeed followed in 99,1% cases.
    • After a pause and before a consonant в, ф, or a consonant cluster like св, the rule requires always to use «у», but in real life, «в» is used in 22,2% cases.
    • After a pause and before all the other consonants, the rule requires writing «у», but in real life «в» is used in 69,9% cases (so the rule in fact conflicts with the real usage!). This us where «Так, у/в мене є каша» belongs.
    • After a pause and before a vowel, the rule requires writing «в», and «в» is in fact used in 96,1% of cases.
    • After a consonant, and and before a consonant в, ф, or a consonant cluster like св, the rule requires writing «у», but in real corpus, «в» is used in 20,3% of cases.
    • After a consonant, and before all other consonants, the rule requires writing «у», but in real corpus, «в» is used in 33,8% of cases.
    • After a consonant, and before a vowel, the rule doesn't tell us what to write, but «в» is used in 84,8% cases.

So, «Так, у мене є каша» is correct according to the prescriptive rules, but in real texts, «Так, в мене є каша» is the overwhelmingly preferred variant.

To make the matters worse, Duolingo doesn't always follows those rules, it often uses «у» in place of «в».

So, I believe both variants should be accepted.

2 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/va-diim
    va-diim

Is it safe to say that the further east and south you go in Ukraine, the more the usage of у/в in Ukrainian begins to sound more like the usage of у/в in Russian? (У меня, учитель, в вагоне, і под.)

1 year ago

[deactivated user]

I don't think so. I've never heard a Russian-like difference between у to indicate possession and в to indicate place in Ukrainian.

The acutal pronunciation of в might be closer to Russian in the East. In Western Ukraine, в sounds closer to the English /w/ (although not exactly same), while further to the east, Russian-like /v/ sound becomes more common. But I don't think the у/в difference exists anywhere.

1 year ago
      Learn Ukrainian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.