baby animals in Polish
I am curious whether Polish has way of transforming virtually any animal into a baby animal by adding a suffix, similar to the Russian ~ёнок suffix.
Thanks in advance.
It is quite easy to transform the name into small animal, not exactly a baby. There exist a similar pattern to create babies names, but it not always can be applied. Some animals have also special names.
- A cat, Kot - kotek - kocię/kociątko (baby)
- A dog, Pies - piesek - szczenię/szczeniak/szczeniaczek (a baby)
- A horse, Koń - konik - źrebię/źrebak (a baby)
- A cow, Krowa - krówka - cielę/cielak (a baby)
- A hen, Kura - kurka - pisklę/pisklak
- A donkey, Osioł - osiołek - oślątko
- A wolf, Wilk - wilczek- wilczę
- A duck, Kaczka - kaczuszka - kaczątko (baby duck)
- A goose, Gęś - gąska - gąsiątko, gąsię; gęsię
- A parrot, Papuga - papużka - papużątko (?)
- An elephant, Słoń - słonik - słoniątko (baby)
- A camel, Wielbłąd - (no obvious diminutive) -wielbłądziątko (baby)
- Tyrannosaurus, Tyranozaur - Tyranozaurek - Tyranozaurzątko (Hypothetical ;-P)
Well I don't speak russian so I can't compare with that, but basically yes, you can do something like that to pretty much every noun. With animals it would be for example: pies-piesek (dog) kot-kotek (cat) chomik-chomiczek (hamster) koń-konik (horse)
You can actually do it with most of the nouns in Polish. Polish language allows a lot of such word creation, you can often create your own words based on that (as explained by others), even if such words don't exist in dictionaries, people will understand you. Say - TV - telewizor - telewizorek - telewizoreczek :)