App not working after android update
I've just seen on the website, that I lost my 180+ streak after having not practicing for three days. But I know for a fact that this can not be. I have at least 2 days of practice in this period, and a streak freece. I practiced with my mobile phone in this time, but I didn't really check the streak in this time. I also used my phone today already and saw that it does not apperar on the website at all. I tried it again later with my tablet and it worked just fine. I don't know if it is a problem with android, because I had an update on the weekend. It really botters me to loose this streak just because of a bug.
The three most common reasons for this are:
you're working on a phone or a tablet, and your phone / tablet hasn't been able to synchronise its data with the server.
your daily target is set to more XP than you did one day.
you've travelled across timezones, and Duolingo's using the time zone you travelled from.
The first is the most likely - that your mobile device hasn't synchronised.
It's always a good idea to buy a streak freeze if you care about your streak, and to check every now and then that it's still active. It's also a good idea to check that your phone / tablet has synchronised with the server.
I'm also experiencing the same problem. The web site shows that I have not practiced in the last three days but have three times my normal practice already for today. I think there's a bug on their end.