https://www.duolingo.com/swtoby

Suggestion: New Ideas for a Better Practice Experience

swtoby

Hey Everyone,

I've been using Duolingo on a daily basis for a little while now and I love it immensely, spend at least an hour on here every day. Ever since the change to the new layout, the whole thing just doesn't feel the same to to me anymore, though. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Some of it has to do with me just having finished the Spanish tree and now being stuck in practice limbo until either the Dutch or the Russian (or maybe, just maybe the Swedish) course for English are finished. Moving up on a tree and slowly finishing it is a very enriching experience. Practicing on the other hand needs a lot of effort, as I'm sure we all know. I don't know if it's just me, but it felt easier before the switch to the new layout, because you had the vocabulary list and the individual lessons within the skills that you could practice. I miss that a lot.

Here's a small list of things that I think would make practice a lot more enjoyable:

1. Bring back the Vocabulary Practice (I know it's on it's way back soon)

2. A new way to practice. A mixture between "Practice Without Timer" and "Timed Practice", similar to the "Unlimited Practice" that was suggested a while back. Forget about the hearts in practice, please. They might be good when advancing the trees, but when I practice, they are not. They crush my own heart more than anything else. Give me what "Timed Practice" gives me, only without the timer and without the hearts of normal practice.

3. An option where we can choose to go "EverGold", if you wanna call it that. The tree stays golden, or at least decays at a much slower rate. Maybe we can adjust the rate individually. For people with mild OCD like me, it's so frustrating to go through the tree, doing the Sisyphus task of trying to keep it golden. I'd much rather have it golden all the time and just practice the skills I really want to practice, instead of the ones the system thinks I need to practice.

4. I would like to see different "Themed Practice" options. Wouldn't it be nice to practice nothing but verbs, or nothing but nouns or adjectives, etc.? It'd be great to choose what kind of words you want to practice.

I guess what I'm saying is, is that Duolingo is a little too one sided at the moment when it comes to what to do after a tree-completion. I'm sure the amazing team in Pittsburgh already have a ton of ideas that are only waiting to be implemented, but I hope it doesn't hurt to throw some new stuff out there.

4 years ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Gelle89

I like the themed practice idea.

4 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/BastouXII
BastouXII

These are all good ideas. But what I think they meant for us to do once the tree is complete and we feel somewhat confident with the language, is to go to the immersion area and translate articles to advance on the translator levels. Then, I guess you should look at the plethora of sites available outside of Duolingo. We started compiling a list of anything that can be useful outside of Duo here in the Wiki.

4 years ago
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.