"Yes, I am a businessman."

Translation:Так, я бізнесмен.

12/23/2016, 10:52:47 AM

8 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Zonia435615

I don't understand WHY the 'є' (the verb) is not included in the speech in 'modern' Ukrainian. The sentence sounds incomplete (lazy) without the important verb 'to be' ('бути' - 'є'). We've always used 'є' in Ukrainian sentences . The sentence is clear, complete and grammatically correct....I will still keep using it, and so will many other Ukrainian-speakers on this planet. :) So mote it be.

12/29/2016, 5:16:43 AM

[deactivated user]

I don't understand WHY

The language differences cannot be 'understood'. You can't answer why British people say 'The team are playing tonight' and American people say 'The team is playing tonight'. It's just a regional difference that has to be taken into account, you can't understand why. It just happened to diverge.

This course teaches literary Ukrainian. «Є» is not used in the way you use it in literary Ukrainian (the standard form of Ukrainian as used in books, on TV and on formal occasions).

If you use «є» in your native dialect differently, great, but it's irrelevant. It's not literary Ukrainian, so it's not included in this course.

12/29/2016, 7:10:58 PM

Duolingo is still marking "Так, я є бізнесмен." as incorrect when it actually IS correct, and people today, speak this way. Reported.

12/29/2016, 6:02:19 AM

[deactivated user]

It's unnatural in literary Ukrainian.

It might be correct in your dialect, but this course doesn't teach your dialect. Adding such phrases would confuse people who are trying to learn idiomatic literary Ukrainian.

12/29/2016, 7:11:32 PM

https://www.duolingo.com/yashamax

I understand your explanation, szeraja_zhaba. At one point in these comments, you write that є DL is teaching 'spoken' Ukrainian, and then, at another point, you write that it is 'literary' Ukrainian. Can you explain. I thought that 'spoken' Ukrainian would be 'colloquial' Ukrainian, like you would hear in everyday speech, and literary Ukrainian would be that that you would find in textbooks and such.

It is possible that Zonia speaking from a regional dialect?

4/10/2017, 1:52:52 PM

[deactivated user]

I’m not sure I’m using all the terms correctly, so I’ll add Ukrainian terms alongside with the English ones. Basically, ‘literary’ is used in two meanings.

When I say ‘literary Ukrainian’, I mean what we call ’modern literary Ukrainian’. Modern literary Ukrainian (суча́сна літерату́рна украї́нська мо́ва, or СУЛМ for short) is a standard, normative variety of Ukrainian, what most speakers in Ukraine would perceive as ‘standard’ and as a good example to follow.

That is a pretty blurred definition, because different people have different ideas of what it looks like. It became even more blurred after the collapse of the Soviet Union, when Soviet Ukrainian was no longer considered a good example for imitation. However, even though the borders of literary Ukrainian are blurred, they do exist. And «я є бізнесмен» would probably be near that border for most people (not exactly incorrect, but sounds strange in most situations), while «я бізнесмен» would be inside that border.

Zonia’s Ukrainian is not literary Ukrainian. It means most Ukrainian speakers are not trying to imitate her speech. While «я є бізнесмен» is not that incorrect (it just sounds a bit strange), some of her words would sound plainly wrong for most speakers (e.g. «іти на прохід» ‘to go for a walk’, «дивитися в телевізор» ‘to watch TV’).

Zonia, on the other hand, doesn’t consider literary Ukrainian a good example to follow. If this sentiment is shared by her fellow Canadians, it means literary Ukrainian is not a literary language for her.

I don’t know if they have an alternative literary language. If most Canadians agree on what in Ukrainian is to be imitated, then we can say there is a literary Canadian Ukrainian, and perhaps is should be added to Duolino. If every Canadian Ukrainian has their own idea about what’s to be imitated, then there is no literary Canadian Ukrainian. As far as I know, the latter option is closer to reality, but I might be mistaken.

It is possible that Zonia speaking from a regional dialect?

Most Ukrainians who emigrated to Canada were from Western Ukraine, so Canadian Ukrainian is mostly based on Western dialects.

People in Ukraine, on the other hand, tried to imitate the speech of Kyiv, the capital city, so literary Ukrainian is based on Central Ukrainian dialects.

Literary Ukrainian includes different registers (сти́лі мо́влення), such as colloquial (розмо́вний сти́ль мо́ви), formal (офіці́йно-ділови́й сти́ль мо́ви), scholarly (науко́вий сти́ль мо́ви). Fiction is written using худо́жній сти́ль мо́ви, which I’d translate ‘literary register’.

So, ‘literary Ukrainian’ (the standard language, літерату́рна украї́нська) includes ‘literary register’ (худо́жній сти́ль). The Ukrainian words are different, and maybe I should choose a better rendering for them in English.

4/10/2017, 3:33:38 PM

"Так, я є бізнесмен." should also be accepted!!

12/23/2016, 10:52:47 AM

[deactivated user]

Perhaps, but this way of speaking would sound pretty unnatural in Ukraine. This course teaches Ukrainian as spoken in Ukraine.

12/23/2016, 11:05:26 AM
          Learn Ukrainian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.