Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

"Nora mea trăiește în Franța."

Translation:My daughter-in-law lives in France.

1 year ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/adam11151
adam11151

Wouldn't „locuiește în Franța" be more appropriate here?

To me, this sentence with „a trăi" means "she lives in France" as a somewhat poetic say to say she spends a lot of time there or is always thinking or talking about french culture.

To say "she lives in France" as in she literally resides in France, then the verb „a locui" would be used.

Am I right? I struggle sometimes when a language I'm studying has multiple words for one in English. It forces me to consider distinctions I wouldn't normally have to consider.

Reply1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/razvan.marin

Both would work. I explained their meanings in another question, but I'll paste here too.

The verb a trăi actually means to live, to be alive. So saying eu trăiesc may mean that I am alive. In this sense it can be used as an euphemism to say that someone is dead: el nu mai trăiește literally translated as he's no longer alive.

It can also be used to say eu trăiesc în Canada meaning that I live in Canada.

It can also be used to say something like eu trăiesc bine meaning that I live well. Former president of Romania, Traian Băsescu, once ended a speech with Să trăiți bine!

The verb a locui actually means to reside somewhere, to live there. So eu locuiesc în Canada also means that I live in Canada.

Both verbs can be used to say that we live together, yet noi locuim împreuna tends to have a physical sense (like roommates: Andrei și Mihai au locuit împreuna în timpul facultății), and noi trăim împreuna can mean more than that (like being significant others: Maria și Ion trăiesc împreună de cinci ani).

Reply11 year ago