"Сьогодні в Одесі жарко."

Translation:It is hot in Odessa today.

1/8/2017, 10:46:08 AM

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Udovytskyi

Correct transliteration ONLY Odesa (one s in word). Odessa is not correct transliteration from Ukrainian. Одеса -- українською, Одесса - російською

1/8/2017, 10:46:09 AM

https://www.duolingo.com/lateonomen

There should be NO translation. Although in Ukrainian language Odessa is written with one "с" it is absolutely preposterous and a common mistake, similar with other proper names, which were "translated" for whatever reason. The city name and pronunciation is very particular for all linguistic and historical meaning, so attempts to deprive it from this are at best nearsighted, or just plain foul play. 

Before you decide to argue, I would suggest to read something by Олекса Гарматкін (Oleksa Garmatkin). That is an illustration of a similar translation absurdity, how the name of Aleksandr Pushkin would sound.

4/24/2017, 3:49:22 AM

[deactivated user]

I would suggest to read something by Олекса Гарматкін (Oleksa Garmatkin). That is an illustration of a similar translation absurdity, how the name of Aleksandr Pushkin would sound.

If you applied the ‘Odesa not Odessa’ logics to Pushkin and mapped letters one-to-one, you’d end up with Алєксандр Серґєєвіч Пушкін (Aleksandr Sergeevich Pushkin). Which isn’t how Pushkin’s name is rendered in Ukrainian. Last time I cheked, the standard rendering was Олександр Сергійович Пушкін (Oleksandr Serhiyovych Pushkin).

There should be NO translation.

Names of cities are translated and not transliterated (and not transcribed) in any language, and Odessa is not an exception.

Here are a few examples from Ukrainian:

• we say Бухарест, not Букурешть,
    • Відень, not transliterated Вієн or transcribed Він,
    • Рим, not Рома,
    • Лісабон, not transliterated Лісбоа or transcibed Ліжбоа,
    • Стамбул, not Істанбул,
    • Токіо, not Токьо,
    • Краків, not Кракув,
    • Неаполь, not Наполі,
    • Париж, not transliterated Паріс or transcribed Парі,
    • Старі Дороги, not Ста́риє Дарогі or Стари́я Дарогі.
    4/25/2017, 5:51:47 PM
    Learn Ukrainian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.