https://www.duolingo.com/Batsteve

Feedback after finishing tree

Vă mulțumesc pentru cursul acest!

Since this course is listed in Beta and I recently reached the end, let me offer my unsolicited feedback:

1) I really enjoyed the course notes, up until the point they stopped (presumably, they are being added from the top down?). They seem most useful for someone with a strong language/linguistics background who is interested in 'bonus content' more than as nuts and bolts grammar explanations.

2) A lot of the vocabulary skills are really big. In Romanian, there are 60+ food words introduced across two skills on the third level of the tree. In another course, these might be spread out between three or four skills, one early in the tree and the others later. I think this is significant because

2.1) There are a lot of nouns introduced in indefinite singular before we learn plurals, definite forms, verbs, and adjectives. I'm not exactly sure what a better way to structure this part is--there are a lot of pieces that have to be learned before good sentences can be introduced, and there are additionally a lot of different declension paradigms that need to be taught by rote--but I felt like there was too big a vocabulary hurdle to overcome before I got to sentences like "eu tai carnea bună."

3) Present tense conjugation is a crime against humanity. It's definitely not the fault of this course, but I am not confidant conjugating any verbs besides 'a mânca' and 'a fi.' Relative to the number of noun vocab skills, I feel like there are fewer verbs taught (compared to other Duo languages), but my perception could very well be skewed because of the verbs hidden in vocab skills. If I were thinking about 2.0, I would try to think of sneaky skills that claim to teach some phrasal constructions or something, but are really all about conjugating lots of verbs. If I were less lazy, I would just drill the existing skills more.

4) There are relatively few 'abstract words' (cf. English -> German which has four long vocab skills dedicated to abstracty nouns). Abstract nouns are both harder to teach and to learn, but they benefit the most (I think) from being put in the context of a full sentence a la Duolingo.

5) Sentence quality was very good, especially in the middle parts where I don't remember many single-word-sentences. I was a little sad there weren't more mascot animals doing wacky things. There are some rough parts later in the tree (mostly around preposition translation), but such is Beta.

6) Romanian isn't nearly as bad about it as the romance languages (English -> Italy & Spanish -> Portuguese at least), but I felt like tenses were pushed to the end of the course. Especially as the Romanian tenses don't correspond exactly to English or the other Romance tenses, I would have enjoyed seeing them earlier.

7) There weren't many skills after which I was left scratching my head, but the one that stuck out was demonstratives and their irregular forms. I agree that the traditional forms are important to learn, but the current skill was very difficult for me to understand, and I still don't think I know them very well.

Merşi foarte mult autorilor din nou! Dacă mă plâng, atunci este pentru că imi place.

January 11, 2017

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Abugslag

Did you know any Romanian language before starting the course, and how will you proceed now?

January 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Batsteve

I didn't know any Romanian before coming into this course (~1.5 months ago?), but I had a strong background in other romance languages. That translated into a big chunk of vocabulary, and a fairly-complete skeleton to hang the grammar onto.

My goal is to read newspapers with ~95% comprehension, and I'm not there yet. My plan is to drill Duolingo lessons for a while until the forms start to 'sink in.'

January 12, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/MLSavage

I would suggest working on the Romanian -> English course. After finishing this tree I have gone back to complete that tree once again. You get more verbs and a better overall experience in actually using (typing and reading) the language.

Yes, you are going to spend some time simply typing the english you hear, but the benefit is that you get better help from an established course. You would also benefit more because you already have a decent Romanian base on which to build and practice. In turn you learn the the way they would teach english to a Romanian. If only we could combine the two courses because there are gaps in each course, some overlap, some do not. I ask my Romanian wife for help when there are gaps and she can't explain the answers (sometimes). So much for having an advantage in having a native speaker in the same house.

Hopefully that would help your comprehension and sentence structure.

January 13, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/Daniel.Croft

Its nice to hear im not the only one with a Romanian partner who cant explain the answers sometimes :)

January 17, 2017
Learn Romanian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.