1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: French
  4. >
  5. "The man drinks wine."

"The man drinks wine."

Translation:L'homme boit du vin.

February 19, 2013



do you use the word "du" when the action verb uses an "s" at the end? I'm having a hard time figuring that one out...


In French "du" is called a partitive article. It roughly means "some" but in English we usually use no article in it's place.

The easiest way to get started is to realize that almost every noun needs an article. There are 3 types of articles:

Partitive - "He eats [some] cake"

Definite - "He eats the cake"

Indefinite - "He eats a cake"

I put the some in brackets because it's usually dropped in English so you don't normally see it, but roughly speaking it can be included. In French the three ways of addressing a noun have the following equivalents:

Partitive - "Il mange du gâteau"

Definite - "Il mange le gâteau"

Indefinite - "Il mange un gâteau"

It takes a while to get used to, but hopefully that will get you started.


i put "le homme" I think that's correct


No this isn't correct. Unlike English, in French the contractions are mandatory. So you are correct that "homme" is masculine, but it needs to contract with its article so "le + homme" must become "l'homme".


Thanks. However, I don't understand the error message that says "Pay attention to gender". It looks to me like my error -- typing "le homme" instead of "l'homme" -- is an error of (mandatory) non-contraction, not of gender. How can "le" be interpreted otherwise?


From what I've seen on Duolingo's errors, if you use the wrong article, it just defaults to saying "Pay attention to gender" whether or not you used the wrong gender.


Should this be translated as "L'homme boit le vin" since the English sentence is not talking about a specific instance but rather that the man drinks wine in general? My french is rusty, but I would translate "L'homme boit du vin" as the man is drinking wine.

Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.