Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/DBlomgren2

Feedback on "Verbs: Infinitive 1 Tips and Notes"

Hi, Duolingo Team,

I've googled "give feedback to Duolingo" and learned that the way to do that is via discussions.

I'm starting Swedish Verbs: Infinitive 1 and found in the Tips and Notes a typo and some instructions that are confusing to me.

Typo: infintive. Should be infinitive.

Under "COMMON EXCEPTIONS (ADVANCED)" you have this:

Modal verbs do not require the use of att. These include words such as kunna, måste and vilja. For more information regarding modal verbs, refer to the lesson Verbs: Modal.

I think many learners need to be reminded of what modal verbs are (can, could, will, would, shall, should, may, might, must). Why are they modal verbs? A. They have no infinitive (as Americans say) or no infinitive with to (as Brits say), i.e., "to can" doesn't exist. B. They are always followed by the base form of a verb, i.e., "can do," but not "can doing" or "can to do." C. They have no conjugation in the present tense, i.e., "he cans talk" doesn't exist. D. You don't need to use do, does, or did to make them negative or ask questions, i.e., "he doesn't can talk" and "Did he can talk?" don't exist. Yes, there's more to them than that, but I think for English speakers learning Swedish, only point B is important to most because: point A doesn't apply to Swedish modals - lucky you! point C: No Swedish verbs (except vara) are conjugated in the present tense - lucky you! point D: Using these helping verbs only applies to English - unlucky us.

Because English modals are never followed by "to" (unless you count "ought," which I don't), I think English speakers would have no problem with wanting to insert an "att" after a modal verb and therefore wouldn't consider it an exception. I would rewrite your text above to say: Common exceptions (Advanced) Yes, there are exceptions, we're sorry...

There are some ordinary verbs that do not require att. These are börja, sluta, besluta, lära, lära sig.

That's my point of view. I realize you all have a much larger perspective.

1 year ago

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/devalanteriel
devalanteriel
Mod

Thank you! We're in the process of reviewing some of the lesson notes, and feedback is always appreciated. :) While I can't say for sure what we'll change (well, the typo's getting fixed), we'll definitely keep what you wrote in mind.

1 year ago