1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: German
  4. >
  5. "Sie brauchen einen Pass und …

"Sie brauchen einen Pass und ein Visum."

Translation:You need a passport and a visa.

February 8, 2017



Im sorta confused on why duo says sie is they/them/she but then only gives you out as a possible answer?


I agree! Could this not also be "She needs a passport and a visa" as well as "They need a passport and a visa"


Could this not also be "She needs a passport and a visa"

No. Because "she" verb forms end in -t, while "they" verb forms end in -en.

This sentence has sie brauchen, so it has to be "they need".

"she needs" would be sie braucht.


Would "They need passports and visas" be "Sie brauchen Pässe und Visa." ?


Would "They need passports and visas" be "Sie brauchen Pässe und Visa." ?



Why Visum and not Visa?


In German, "Visum" is singular and "Visa" is plural.


Would someone comment on the rule that makes "A Visa": ein while "A pass" is einen? I want to say it is "und" but would like to hear reinforcement (and yes I am looking it up too :-P)


Pass is masculine (der Pass) but Visum is neuter (das Visum).

The two things you need are the objects of brauchen, so you need accusative case.

The masculine accusative form of ein is einen (with -en like den), but the neuter accusative form is ein (accusative is always the same as nominative for neuter things).

So, nothing to do with und. It would be the same in Ich brauche einen Pass or Ich brauche ein Visum or even Ich brauche ein Visum und einen Pass.


Thank you, that was a real turn about from what I was thinking! That helps a lot! :D


If this sentence could be taken as You need.... or They need.... why aren’t either one marked correct please


When you are asking about a sentence, please quote your entire answer.

There are accepted translations that start "You need" and "They need", but without knowing what you typed for "....", it's impossible to say what the error might have been.


If "Sie" is formal "you", then should it be "brauchen"? That would indicate a group and their "sie" would translate to "they".


If "Sie" is formal "you", then should it be "brauchen"?

Yes. The formal Sie acts grammatically in all respects like the pronoun sie which means "they", except that Sie "you" is capitalised.

Thus you need a third-person plural verb form with Sie -- even if you are just speaking to one person.


I was taught that "Reisepass" = passport. In fact I remember "Reisepass" showing up on German passports.

So is "Pass" actually used now instead of "Reisepass" (literally "trip pass")?


Both words are used. In the spoken language, the shorter form Pass is more frequent; the full form Reisepass sounds a bit more official.


Just want to point out, for all the fuss about Duolingo sentences being unusable in real life, the last few chapters have excellent everyday sentences, especially the Travel chapter. Good work!


Since sie can be either you or they how do i know which one to use?


Since sie can be either you or they how do i know which one to use?

Lower-case sie can never be "you".

But at the beginning of a sentence, you can't tell the difference between sie brauchen "they need" and Sie brauchen "you need".

And so both translations will be accepted. You can choose either one.

You don't have to read Duo's mind to "know which one to use", since either will work.


How do I know it's "you need" and not "we need"?


Because "we need" would be Wir brauchen, not Sie brauchen.


Sorry, "they need".


In the middle of a sentence, you can tell them apart because "they need" is sie brauchen and "you need" is Sie brauchen with capital Sie -- but at the beginning of a sentence (as with Duo's sentence here), it could be either.


Both for singular and plural you Sie is used...is the form of verb brauchen remain same aur change?


Sie is used as the formal "you" whether you speak to one person or several -- that's right.

The verb form is always the same, though -- always third person plural, like sie "they".


Because it says "Sie brauchen einen Pass und ein Visum." "A passport" and "a visa." "They" would need passports and visas, plural (Pässe und Visa), not a single one of each. "You" only need "a passport" and "a visa." (einen Pass und ein Visum).


So if you're trying to formally speak to someone, do you basically refer to them as multiple people?


It certainly uses the same verb forms and pronouns as "they", yes. (Except that pronouns and forms thereof are always capitalised for the polite "you".)

English sort of did this as well -- "you" used to be plural only, then used for polite singular as well, now it's used for everyone and "thou" has pretty much died for most speakers.


Its they need not we need


It makes no sense that sie means you


When sie is used to mean "you", it's capitalised for politeness: Sie.

It's more polite because it's less direct.

Consider Italian, which uses "she" as the polite pronoun, presumably from a feminine noun such as "your grace" used as a polite version of "you"; and Spanish Usted is from "your mercy" (vuestra merced).

Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.