Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/Cam_and_Alex

Dutch Words of the Week! Week 1

Cam_and_Alex

Welcome to my new series, where every Wednesday, we'll be looking at five or so words of different categories to add to our repertoire!

This week, we'll be looking at tender words (koosnamen)! Words one can use to say sweet things to a significant other, or to let a friend know that you care for them.

Word 1: Schatje

This word literally translates to "little treasure", and can be used in both a romantic sense and a parental sense. A mother can call her child "schatje" just as well as somebody is addressing a boyfriend/girlfriend!

Alles goed, schatje?
Is everything okay, baby?

Side note: this word is not one that is just used lightly! This is not a word one would throw around to just anyone or everything. As well, in some positions, this word can be condescending! Make sure you say it lovingly. <3

Word 2: Gelukzak

This word literally translates to "happy bag", but actually stands for "lucky boy/guy"!

Ik ben een gelukzak met jou.
I am a lucky guy with you.

I say this quite often. =)

Word 3: Lieveling

This literally translates to "Darling". This is a word you could say to both a best friend (if you're the kind that refer to each other with terms of affection) or a significant other/spouse.

Wat zou je willen eten, lieveling?
What would you like to eat, darling?

Word 4: Een lekker ding

This phrase literally translates to "a tasty (good) thing", and since Dutch has many different uses for the word "lekker", it can be used as a term of endearment. This is used to compliment character or appearance of someone you fancy.

Je bent een lekker ding. (Simple, I know. =P )
You are an amazing thing.

Word 5: Honnepon

This word literally translates to "honeybun", and can be used as such. It is also synonymous with "pumpkin", which I also use a lot. =)

Je bent zo perfect, mijn mooie honnepon.
You are so perfect, my beautiful honeybun/pumpkin.

This concludes this week's Dutch Words of the Week! May you find use for these words in your life. (My boyfriend has to hear them all the time. <3)

Tot de volgende woensdag!

~Camden =)

Side note: Any edits by native speakers would be more than appreciated! As well, if you have any you know/like, be sure to drop them in the comments below! We'd love to see them. =)

1 year ago

29 Comments