1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Duolingo
  4. >
  5. Luxembourgish Lessons #21: Th…

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/PatrickOsa

Luxembourgish Lessons #21: The Future Tense

Welcome to number twenty-one of the Luxembourgish lessons, which will be discussing how to form the future tense.

Recommended Lessons

Forming De Futur

Forming the future tense involves using the future conjugation of the verb sinn (to be) and an infinitive, functioning much like the modal verbs from earlier. Below is an example of the future tense formation of iessen-

iessen - to eat

Keep in mind that wäerten is affected by the Eifel rule:

kennen - to know

Goen

In English, along with will, we also use the phrase "going to" to state future actions, as in "I am going to type this later".

In Luxembourgish ,wäerten easily fills this position. Thus, "I am going to type this later" and "I will type this later" translate the same: Ech wäert dëst spéider tippen.

But is a construction with the verb goen (to go) as in Ech ginn dëst spéider tippen possible? As of yet, I haven't found anything either supporting or refuting this, so at the moment it's inconclusive. If you were to ask me, I'd stick to just using wäerten.

Futuristic Present

Like in German and English, the future tense can be expressed through the present tense with indication of the action being done in the future. For example, the sentence Mir bezuelen et em muer zeréck could literally translate as "We pay/are paying him back tomorrow", but is understood to mean "We will pay him back tomorrow.

Verb Clustering II

Under normal circumstances, when using infinitives that are not directly associated with wäerten, that infinitive will occur at the very end of the sentence, preceded by the preposition ze (to). For example, the sentence "I will buy a book to read" translates as Ech wäert e Buch kafen ze liesen.

When the future tense is couple with a modal verb, which in turn , the infinitive of the modal verb will occur immediately before the modal. For example, the sentence "I will have to buy the book" translates as Ech wäert d'Buch kafe mussen (lit. I will the book buy have to).

Prior Lessons

Next Lesson

February 11, 2017

0 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.