So you are saying that dịch bệnh refers to the specific disease called the plague, not just diseases and illnesses in general? just checking because Google just translates it as disease. My dictionary says "epidemic diseases". The plague has hardly existed for a really long time...
If this is not the general term for illnesses in general, how would we say that?
the plague we are talking here is any epidemic disease causing a high rate of mortality, not the infectious disease caused by the bacterium Yersinia pestis.
the general term for illness is just "bệnh" (its classifier is either cơn or căn).
- bệnh: illness
- dịch bệnh (or bệnh dịch) [spread + illness]: epidemic disease
- chứng bệnh [sign + illness]: symptom
- bệnh nhân [illness + person]: patient
- bệnh viện [illness + institute]: hospital
- bệnh tật [illness + handicap]: illnesses (mass/collective noun)