Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/Johnny__R

Constructive criticism of Spanish Verbs: Past module.

I think the Spanish Verbs: Past module is bit of a shambles and could be improved just by reordering when the words and rules are introduced. At the moment, all the -ar, -ir and -er verbs are thrown together and far too many new verbs are introduced. New vocabulary and new conjugations should be introduced separately. It's just too much to take in all at once, especially without the vocabulary feature to refer to.

It would be much easier to learn the rules if it was reorganised like this:

Lesson one: Just various conjugations of one -ar verb that we've already seen, like hablar.

Lesson two: Introduce a few new -ar verbs that we can use our knowledge from lesson one on.

Lesson three: Just various conjugations of one -ir verb that we've already seen, like escribir.

Lesson four: Introduce a few new -ir verbs that we can use our knowledge from lesson three on.

Lesson five: Just various conjugations of one -er verb that we've already seen, like comer.

Lesson six: Introduce a few new -er verbs that we can use our knowledge from lesson five on.

Lessons seven and eight: Introduce some irregular verbs.

Lessons nine and ten: Mixed bag of all previous lessons.

My progress has ground to halt since I did past tense, and I honestly think I would've mastered it by now if only it was organised a little better. It's just too much to absorb when it's all thrown together, especially when you're introducing so many new verbs too.

4 years ago

32 Comments