Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/germanwannabee

Met with a Swedish person for the first time today!

Through a friend of a friend I met with a Swede today! It really came as a surprise to me because I live in a very small town and I didn't expect there to be many, if any Swedish people here.

She is an older lady (70 or so) and had many amazing stories to share. Turns out she speaks Swedish, German, English, and French fluently.

She invited me to her house and while I was there I learned quite a few things:

• My Swedish is a lot worse than I thought :) I can understand short sentences, and am fairly good at reading in Swedish, but I'm really bad at listening comprehension. I'm also pretty bad at speaking the language. I remember being at this stage in German, so I know that if I try hard and I stay motivated, I'll be able to improve!

• Culture. She told me a lot about different traditions in Sweden and all sorts of things about Sweden from when she lived there as a child.

• Pickled Herring is delicious. Seriously, you have to try pickled herring in wine sauce. It's so good on top of a cracker with butter.

• While on the note of food, caviar (not the fish eggs, but the creamed fish paste in a tube) is also amazing on a buttered cracker.

In addition to giving me a lot of great food, she also sent me home with several Swedish books: some recipe books, grammar books, crime novels etc. I'm really excited to start reading them!

Overall I had a really great time and I'm so glad I met with this lady. It's always so great to meet with speakers of your target language.

NOTE: Some of you may notice that I posted this twice. The first discussion glitched and gave a 404 to those who tried to read it, so I deleted it and re-posted here.

1 year ago

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/slogger
sloggerPlus

Thanks! This is really interesting. Your elderly friend probably had at least as much fun as you did, BTW.

> Pickled Herring is delicious. Seriously, you have to try pickled herring in wine sauce. It's so good on top of a cracker with butter.

Yes! Please get in touch w/ the rest of my family and tell them this. ;) No one believes me. (I don't eat this w/ butter, but it's a good idea. Try sardines on crackers, as well.)

1 year ago