No vocal portion of practicing
My microphone setting is "on" and I did not have any vocal portion during practice (e.g. kein Englisch zu German, oder "Hört zu, und sprecht nach").
Using Firefox and have not had any problems before now.
Did it show not show you any microphone problems or did nothing happen when you talked?
I'm sure you've double-checked that it's turned on. Make sure your browser is permitting Duolingo to access your microphone, and if you have an ad blocker turn it off. I've got one more tip up my sleeve if that doesn't work.
Browser has access to mic. No adblocker. :-(
If nothing else, I am getting a lot of practice tonight while diagnosing this. :-)
Which browser are you using? Try pressing F12, clicking Console, and see if there are any bug reports in red (or some other color).
Yeah, I thought of that immediately.
I'm for hire, DuoLingo. Hint, hint. :-)
Same problem here, sometimes no audio . Sound of computer is on, and settings microphone is on too
"Type what you hear" is having difficulties, at least in Portuguese. No sound!
Same problem for me - sound seems to be only half working, have tried reboot, log off, everything. No fix seems to work.
Same problem here, German for English speakers course. Nothing helps: clearing, cookies, re-installing web browser, rebooting computer and so on. Also I don't have flash cards and activity for about week now. I'm so frustrated.
Is it solved already ? After sending a bug report the day before yesterday it is solved in my case. But I don't know whether that is thanks to the bug report or because I "shut off/ seal off" ( don't know the right english word for that) my computer
If you are also having problems with this then you need to up-vote this topic!
It appears that DuoLingo does not work at all with Internet Explorer. There are multiple errors on the page.
Vocal practicing does not function in Firefox. I have specifically turned the microphone "on".
Vocal Practicing does function in Chrome.
Can someone form DuoLingo comment on when this feature will be fixed?
From what I see using Win7/IE11, I get a bunch of script errors and the page won't even load:
Webpage error details
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; BRI/1; BRI/2) Timestamp: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 15:24:34 UTC
Message: Script error Line: 0 Char: 0 Code: 0 URI: https://d7mj4aqfscim2.cloudfront.net/proxy/js2/cfadd46f26bd23688fb6-vendor.js
Message: Script error Line: 0 Char: 0 Code: 0 URI: https://assets.zendesk.com/embeddable_framework/main.js
Message: Script error Line: 0 Char: 0 Code: 0 URI: https://d7mj4aqfscim2.cloudfront.net/proxy/js2/cfadd46f26bd23688fb6-duolingo.js
Message: '_' is undefined Line: 156 Char: 9 Code: 0 URI: https://www.duolingo.com/
Message: Object expected Line: 179 Char: 9 Code: 0 URI: https://www.duolingo.com/
Message: 'duo.excess' is null or not an object Line: 196 Char: 9 Code: 0 URI: https://www.duolingo.com/
Das ist kein Problem! Ich werde weiter suchen.
Hopefully, I will find a solution...it stinks having to use two browsers.
What is worse is that it is unclear if the DuoLingo team even reads these threads, is aware of the problem, or is even planning on addressing them.