Wow!!! What an improvement!
For a short while I couldn't access DL. And then...back to business with vastly improved strengthen exercises and better look too. I've not tried everything yet, but now my audio works better and I am getting questions where I repeat what is said and can play it back. I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can find that has improved. Thank you so much for your hard work, all you who put the work in.
I'm so sad! the site is back to what it was before. It was temporarily so much better. Wish I knew what is going on.
The things I got (but have now lost again) on the new look website that appeared for a couple of hours and has now gone, apart from much improved sound, were:
- I didn't keep having to refresh to update my XP and skills strengths
- I got added help when hovering over underlined words, including conjugation of verbs and genders, plus other grammar hints. The gender of nouns and the infinitives of verbs are both things I had been thinking of suggesting we could be given when hovering. Such a pity this has disappeared. I keep having to go look them up on-line.
- I got lots of practice with reading aloud a French sentence and then playing it back so I could hear what I said and compare it with the voice on the website. I don't get this at all now. These types of questions do not appear at all.
- When I got a question wrong very slightly, eg the accent, it would say something like 'nearly right', and all errors I made had a reason why I was wrong which I understood so I didn't have to go searching the discussions to find an answer.
- There were some bonus exercises that I was looking forward to doing, but, unfortunately I missed out on these as the website reverted back to how it is now again.
- Sometimes I heard both a male and a female voice speaking the sentences. It was good to hear how different people speak the same sentence.
In the short while I had these features my fluency level rocketed. I think it may have been to do with the practice speaking.
I never had time to explore what other additional features there were, and I am so sorry that the above have disappeared.
I use Windows 10 and internet explorer. Chrome gives a problem on my laptop and I have deleted it. I also have Microsoft edge and Firefox installed but do not use them.
Oh, and on top of that list of added functionality I was for the first time able to view my activity stream and contact a moderator. I had thought it was my poor computer skills preventing me, but actually it was the website or its interaction with my computer and/or software!
I had similar things happen, for a while around noon CST I couldn't access duolingo at all, then when I did I had activities, completed lesson reviews and flashcards back again.
I still have them on one computer, but never got them on two other computers. Sounds like I may have gotten access to a newer version (which has some issues with sound that I and others have reported) but there must be something different about that computer versus this one (like its IP address.) FWIW, I have at least 3 and probably 4 or more different computers I"ve used to access duolingo in the last few weeks.
I consider this a form of progress, but I'm guessing the new release isn't quite ready for full rollout yet. (I've been in software development for over 40 years, stuff happens.)
Almost forgot to mention the weirdest part. Though my streak, points, lingots are the same on all 3 computers, on two of them I have one completed node of the tree that isn't at full strength but on the other the only node that isn't gold is the one I'm still working on.
What is FWIW? My android tablet accesses the current website in a very different way with even less functionality. I use DL on chrome there. Or rather I don't use DL on my tablet as it is too difficult for reasons I won't list. I had also guessed it was a new improved website, and it certainly worked better for me even though others found it difficult. Do you have any suggestions how to get into the activity streams, contact a moderator. I think I have tried to do it correctly and failed. I am not really so computer literate and find understanding and following instructions about what to do on my computer hard as, as soon as something doesn't do what I think it should I assume I have misunderstood and I don't know what to do next. For instance I really needed a moderator for a serious problem (now all sorted by a moderator, not exaggerating), but it was potentially a life and death situation for someone). I clicked on the moderator as instructed, and then got no grey box to write in, which I was told I would. So I thought I was doing something wrong. Now I know it wasn't me as it did work during the glitch DL had! Have you any ideas how to help me get the functions I want and need? Proper, consistant sound, contacting a moderator etc. If I could have contacted you direct, rather than post this here I would do so.