The hebrew course doesn't work properly after the new release of the app
Hi everyone, the hebrew course doesn't work properly after the new release of the app.
The text of the exercise is like "hidden" after the frame of the phobe. Can someone fix it?
The latest update (iOS 5.0.12) fails to display RTL questions correctly.
I just submitted a BUG report. Please submit your own bug report so they will fix this quickly: https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
It is helpful if you can include a screenshot.
Adding my voice to this as well. It is quite unusable at the moment. אני עצוב
Same here--just today found the text is left to right and doesn't show up on the screen. Any question without audio can't be answered. Can't use the app. Please fix it.
Hi everyone, I have the same exact issue using the app since they updated the app on March 1. I thought I messed up my Hebrew keyboard on my iPad, but that is not the case --I reinstalled the keyboard and same issue. Please definitely send an email to duolingo to report the problem that the Hebrew question is showing on the edge of the left of the screen (instead of starting on the left) and perhaps I see half of the first word, but can't see all of the words, so can't translate to English. When I try to type English, it starts typing on the right side. You can take a screen shot on an iPad by holding in the on off button and then immediately pressing the home button and releasing. A screenshot photo should appear in your photos, which you can copy and send in your error email to duolingo. Hope they fix soon!
Same thing here. I just sent duolingo a bug report. The app is unusable for learning Hebrew at the moment.
There hasn't been a fix yet, however they do know about the bug now, so hopefully this will be an easy fix, and will be taken care of quickly. Until then, using it on your computer may be the best course of action in order to keep your days. Fingers crossed!
Yes, the iOS 5.0.13 update fixes the RTL display poblem!
Hello everyone, I do still have the same trouble. It is not fixed. But I am happy to see I am not the only one with this problem. Thank you for your clear description and for the link to the bug report! I filled in a bug report and added a screenshot. (Resetting the iPad did not help.) (Using iOS 10.2.1, should be up to date)
I went to the online version which is a little cumbersome but it works. Who do I write to about fixing the app. My iPhone has been updated.
Hello everyone. The app works quite well again after the recent update. Now I can read the Hebrew questions! But there still is an alingment problem. When typing an English answer (translating Hebrew to English), words come up on the right site instead of left.
Hi, what you describe is what I am experiencing as well. I can now see all Hebrew words on the right but when typing English it comes up incorrectly to type on the right. I will send another screen shot later. It seems that they fix things when they see the screen shot, so good to send one! Thanks everyone!