Swahili is now on mobile :)
I just saw Swahili on iOS.
Join Swahili club? 75CFWS
Congrats to the Swahili team!
I joined the club but I won't be learning on mobile for a while. Some reasons:
- It took me 5 minutes to get through one lesson. So many exercises
- Oh yeah, the exercises were very repetitive. The same sentence again and again
- I forgot how much I detest mobile. The tapping exercise to make sentences makes me shudder. I hate it. I haven't seen the matching exercise, so hopefully in the two months I was gone it was removed but I'm assuming Swahili just doesn't have it.
- Out of the 30 some exercises I did, I translated English to Swahili once. I have noticed this course is worse than most others at translating to target language. I rarely ever translate to Swahili on desktop either. It is increasingly difficult for me to translate to Seahili.
- Reporting. I don't see why Beta courses go on mobile. The report feature has two options, "My answer was correct" and "other error". You can't even describe your error. I am currently trying to help the Swahili course and reporting everything I find, and I can't do that with this Mobile app very well
When this course enters phase 3 I might be back. By then I'm hoping to have gone through the entire tree at least three times so I can help remove the errors
I have to admit - I am also surprised the course was released on mobile so quick as well! I'm not quite sure how the mobile algorithms work in selecting which exercises are chosen...
I'm pretty certain that's the fastest I've ever seen a language go to mobile; Romanian isn't even on there yet. I figured it would take longer for Swahili to appear on there because of the "limited beta" thing
Are you on iOS? I'm pretty certain I have more reporting options available on the app than just that (on Android). I actually find that I have that problem with the mobile version of the web interface. If I use Duolingo on the web on my phone, I can't report anything, but if I do that on my tablet (at least in landscape mode), I can. Weird.
Yeah I noticed that too last night when I got fed up with the app. I switched to mobile and I noticed I couldn't report. I guess I could always go Desktop site on mobile.
I was surprised when I saw this. Romanian hasn't even made it to the mobile yet. I'm progressing very slowly because I find that the spelling of a number of the words is very similar, and the course is very strict about what answers you can give ("good morning" versus "have a good morning, etc). But I'll take the opportunity to practice it wherever I am
Can I learn Swahili on Android already? My app says it's not supported on mobile.
Why is there no audio? How do I know if I am pronouncing the words correct?
Please read our updates for more info!