Irish audio issues
Is anyone else having issues with the Irish audio not lining up with what the text says?
I answer the exercise with what the texts says, and it is the right answer. But the audio in no way is matching up with the text.
And it is not always, just here and there, but I noticed it more today.. I report the problem with the exercizes. But I was wondering if it is just me or the app on my iphone.
I have been having this issue o0ff and on for about 4 days now.
Sometimes I think it may be a connection or app issue because I have noticed that sometimes it is audio relevant to the previous question.
Duolingo uses a computerized speech-to-text engine for most languages, but there isn't a suitable one available for Irish, so it has to rely on actual recordings. This means that there are occasional glitches, as the process of matching the recordings to the exercises is a manual process, so in a few cases the wrong audio clip is associated with a particular exercise, and, in other cases, the speaker misread the script, so a single word may be off. Of the 4,000 or so recordings, there are only a handful of the first type of error, and a few more of the second type. If you check the Discussions on such exercises, these issues are clearly flagged.
It may be that you've just hit a particular patch of errors, which, by the nature of Duolingo's algorithm, where it keeps repeating any exercise that you make an error on, means that you're seeing a lot of them at once. Or it could be a glitch with your app. If you post a few examples of the sentences that you've encountered a problem with, it might be clearer what's going on.
Yes. At one point the speaker clearly said "a-RAWN" instead of "AN-ra" where the sentence to be translated into English had "anraith" written. Two or three questions later the audio came out with a sentence that didn't have even one word in common with the text on screen. It was very annoying because I was using the mobil app, which didn't have any way to report it.
The exercise where she says arán when the text says Ithim anraith agus bágún has plenty of comments about that error. Unfortunately, there is nothing that the course contributors can do to fix that error (except perhaps disable that exercise entirely) - only the Duolingo staff have access to the audio tables, and you can read some of the reasoning behind why the generally don't make this kinds of changes in this thread
The same goes for the small number of exercises where the wrong audio track is associated with an exercise.
Sorry for the duplicate comment. I use the mobile app because it doesn't crash as often as the browser version on my iPad, but it doesn't provide a way to see any of the comments. Switching to the browser version at that point is useless, because it will open a new bunch of questions, not the ones you were just looking at on the mobile version, so you still will not be able to see the comments.