https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Demon-Kiyomi

Japanese Lesson 66: Adjectives Part 9

Alright guys! This is it! The last of the adjectives section! :)

VOCABULARY

Convenient: Benri (-na): べんり(-な): 便利(-な)

Opposite: Hantai (-na/-no): はんたい(-な/-の): 反対(-な/-の)

Note: This also means "opposition/resistance/antagonism/hostility/objection/distension" as well as "reverse/opposite/visa-versa/contrast", the correct definition should be taken from context, much like we do when reading homonyms/homographs. EG: "Bow" (and arrow) vs "Bow" (for your hair) vs "bow" (to bow down to someone)

Afraid: Kowagaru: こわがる: 怖がる (verb)

Sad: Kanashii: かなしい: 悲しい

Frequent: Hinpan (-na): ひんぱん(-な): 頻繁(-な)

Frequent: Tabikasanaru: たびかさなる: 度重なる (Verb)

Frequent: Tabitabi okoru: たびたびおこる: たびたび起こる
Lit: "again and again happening" :) TBH I really LOVE Japanese onomatopoeia-esque words like this.

Wooden: Mokusei (-no): もくせい(-の): 木製(-の)

Wooden: Ki de dekita: き で できた: 木で出来た
Lit: wood of made. .... though "dekiru" also means "can"... again it's all contextual! :)

SENTENCES

I am sad.
Watashi wa kanashii desu.
わたし は かなしい です。
私は悲しいです。

Why are you afraid.
Naze anata wa kowagatteiru no desu ka?
なせ あなた は こわがっています か。
なぜあなたは怖がっているのですか。

Note: The "no" after kowagatteiru softens the question and makes it less blunt. Much like when saying you want something and following "hoshii" with "n" to soften the request. Even though Kowagatteiru is a verb, because we've used the "no" as a softener we then add "desu" afterwords.

What is the opposite answer? Hantai no kotae wa nan desu ka? はんたい の こたえ は なん です か。
反対の答えは何ですか。

It is convenient.
Benri desu.
べんり です。
便利です。

It is frequent.
Sore wa hinpan desu.
それ は ひんぱん です。
それは頻繁です。

I've left this one for last because it's interesting and so I'll put it under the section we haven't really seen in a while:

GRAMMAR POINT

Where are your wooden shoes?
Anata no ki de dekita kutsu wa doko desu ka.
あなた の き で できた くつ は どこ です か。
あなたの木で出来た靴はどこですか。

Note: Okay so when talking about things made of other things, EG: shoes made of wood" we want to use the particle "de" after the material that the item is made out of. "de" then acts like the English word "of" making "Ki de" translate to "of wood".

This is different than the OTHER use of "de" (which I'm not sure we actually covered yet) which translates to "by" EG: "he came by train" "densha de".

Back to "shoes made of wood" so after "ki de" you want to use "dekita", which usually takes on the meaning "can" but in this case taking on the meaning of "made" or "built" (even though those words already exist) making "Ki de dekita" then translate to "made of wood" or "wooden"!

Of course this works for things other than wood.

Or you could also say:

Ananta no mokusei no kutsu wa doko desu ka?
あなた の もくせい の くつ は どこ です か。
あなたの木製の靴はどこですか。

木 being "tree/wood/lumber" and 製 being "-made"... attaching "sei" (製) to other materials much like "de dekita" also works.

Or finally, you could just say

Anata no kigutsu wa doko desu ka?
あなた の きぐつ は どこ です か。
あなたの木靴はどこですか。

"kigutsu" in this case literally translating to "wooden shoes" and saving you from all the hassle. Unfortunately "kigutsu" only works for "wooden shoes" and isn't as versatile as the other two ways.

And this my friends is an example of why I love languages so much. Because there are so many ways to correctly say one thing. there are so many different answers! As opposed to say, Math, when there is only one right answer. I know I tend to put down only one or two answers for most of these lessons but that's mostly to save time or space because for a lot of these there are so many! Not just synonyms either, word order in Japanese has been known to be very fluid as well. And to me it just makes the whole thing even more neat.

But anyway I'm just rambling now.

Until next time!

Next Lesson

Previous Lesson

First Lesson

Table of Contents

Free Resources

March 6, 2017

0 Comments

Sorted by top post
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.