https://www.duolingo.com/Demon-Kiyomi

Japanese Lesson 68: Present Tense Verbs 2 part 2

... this long name thing is going to kill me. x_x

VOCABULARY

Look: Miru: みる: 見る

Live: Sumu: すむ: 住む 
Note: this is used for living someplace. eg: living in a house, or a country etc. not for living as in physically being alive.

Come: Kuru: くる: 来る

Note: Remember this is one of our rule breaker verbs like suru! This one conjugates to "Kimasu" "kimashita" "kimasen" "kimasen deshita" so the "ru" comes off and the "ku" changes to "ki"!! This one is kind of a toughie!

Study: Benkyou suru: べんきょうする: 勉強する

Offers: Teikyou suru: ていきょう する: 提供する (offer, sponsor, furnish, supply)

Give: Kureru: くれる: 呉れる (often written using kana alone!)

Offer: Sashidasu: さしだす: 差し出す (to present/ to submit/ to tender/ to hold out)

SENTENCES

We look at the menu.
Watashitachi wa menyu- o mimasu. わたしたち は メニュー を みます。
私たちはメニューを見ます。

I live in Germany.
Watashi wa doitsu ni sundeimasu.
わたし は どいつ に すんでいます。
私はドイツに住んでいます。

Note: Notice we change "sumu" to continuous form to show that you currently and presently live in a place. Also notice that when conjugating a "mu" verb to present continuous or even regular "te" form you must drop the "mu" add an "n" and then use "de imasu" instead of "te imasu"!

I study.
Watashi wa benkyou shimasu.
わたし は べんきょう します。
私は勉強します。

Come with us!
Watashitachi to issho ni kite!
わたしたち と いっしょ に きて。
私たちと一緒に来て!

Note: when talking about going with someone you should use "to issho ni". The particle "to" in this case acts like "with" and "issho" means together. From an English speaking perspective that seems a little redundant and strange but give it a little bit and it will become natural to use. Then of course we use our directional particle "ni" followed by our verb.

Since the above sentence is an order, "Come with us!" you want to use "te" form on your verb to turn it into a command.

They give me rice.
Karera wa watashi ni kome o kuremasu.
かれら は わたし に こめ を くれます。
彼らは私に米をくれます。

He offers wine.
Kare wa wain o teikyou shimasu.
かれ は ワイン を ていきょう します。
彼はワインを提供します。

I offer him water.
Watashi wa kare ni mizu o sashidasu.
わたし は かれ に みず を さしだす。
私は彼に水を差し出す。

Note: theres a difference between these two forms of "offer" that we don't seem to have in English. Or we don't acknowledge in any case. Teikyou 提供 seems to be closer to "supply" like there's a lot of wine available. Plenty to go around. If you want it come get it. Like a store supplies goods. Or like Netflix supplies TV shows and movies.

Whereas Sashidasu 差し出す is to give, or present someone with a singular item. (or to hold out your hand according to jisho.org.)

That's it for this lesson. :)

Next lesson

Previous Lesson

First Lesson

Table of Contents

Free Resources

1 year ago

0 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.