https://www.duolingo.com/forBREAKFEST

livemocha, pimsler, and fluenz.

How do those programs (cause theirs a software edition of pimsler) work out for users on here or people in general? I heard livemocha has a free trial but not sure. Fluenz is like 300-500 dollars. So would like feedback from other users on here.

2/26/2013, 7:35:35 AM

7 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/garrettowne

I had just started volume four of Pimsleur Spanish when I discovered Duolingo. One-hundred days later, I had finished the Duolingo lessons for Spanish (or will have them finished tonight), and I am about 2 weeks from finishing the entire Pimsleur program.

The Pimsleur program will have taken me 14 months to complete and it took a lot of discipline. I highly recommend Pimsleur for fine tuning pronunciation and audible comprehension.

I found a couple Spanish language podcasts and can understand about 30% of what I hear, which I take as being a long ways from bilingual, but I feel much more confident about immersion. If I was dropped off in a Spanish speaking country I would be able to function, but I wouldn’t sound very articulate.

Until I can get to a Spanish speaking country I will be eating a lot of Mexican food and trying to find local groups.

2/26/2013, 8:17:28 PM

https://www.duolingo.com/profelevi

Pimsleur is legit IF and only IF you commit to it everyday through all levels. Spanish and Italian now have levels 1-4. French, German, and Portuguese have levels 1-3. Each level = 1 month. For your chosen language I say buy them all upfront, and spend the 3-4 months you need to do it without any breaks. Simultaneously, you can be working on Duolingo every day and reading the newspaper in your language. After 3-4 months you will see great results for only 300-400 bucks.

2/27/2013, 6:35:13 PM

https://www.duolingo.com/priella1

Livemocha = Stalkers.. bewarned. Good Idea but unsafe...

Pimsler = didn't work at all for me.. but my sister learned a few memorized sentences.. poor to me..

Fluenz = I never heard of.. so I can't tell you anything about it

Rosetta Stone = was vague but I learned some with it.. but nothing stuck like with this site.

QueOnda = excellent but after a while you will have to pay a small fee to recieve more out of it.. but their portable apps do not sync well. - don't even bother with the apps.. But check out the site.

I don't really have another ideas - I attend some spanish classes inside of a MMO tho lol..

So far, I am really enjoying this site, and the reworld translating helps me feel i am giving something back.

2/26/2013, 8:16:13 AM

https://www.duolingo.com/forBREAKFEST

For Livemocha, I've heard of private tutors. Plus could you go into details about what method livemocha uses for learning besides partners?

2/26/2013, 9:37:23 AM

https://www.duolingo.com/priella1

This is a LONG POST, but you asked for details.

Live chats using microphones or chatroom areas.. there is also a voting meter there too.. and you can favorite people you feel are very helpful or whom you want to assist in learning your own language.

(The idea is great..The Stalking not so much, but I'll get to that, In a moment.)

Also, you can record yourself real-world translating the phrases or sentences of certain words from certain lessons.

Then, you go to another location that allows you to listen and help correct others translations..

.. I may have confused you, let me explain it this way

Native English Student Learning Spanish:

~ A list of 5 english words are provided.

~ vocabulary that can be used ( choose at least 5 ): fish, cat, small, big, red, eat, car, shoes

~ the student chooses five words and then builds a translated sentence out of that set.

~ then, gets on mic and hits record

~ the student says, "El pequeño gato come pescado en un coche rojos."

~ sends off the recorded sound bite for other native speakers to listen to and correct, if needed.

Native Spanish Speakers Listen to the English Persons Recorded Spanish Sentence

~ The can type or record a responce the correction that needs to be made here

~ that being: that rojos doesnt need to be plural and then sometimes explain why that is

~ also, maybe the native listeners want to assist the student in a more fluid sentence.. so they may type that you are doing well but listen to how the sentence would sound, you don't need to roll the R on rojos like that: then they record the same sentence ( if correct ) with the less trill of the R, or so...

Native English Student Listen to /Reads the Spanish Persons Recorded / Written Correction

~ listens and can rate the most helpful assistance. the points you ear actually gain you more free stuffs.. so the more you use help.. the more you things you may get free.. which.. is time comsuming... and probably why the creepers were so prevalent there.. hours and hours listening to " pretty voices ".... meh..

This all sounds awesome at first right? Until some creepers start favoriting you as their voice teacher and because they like your voice and track you across a few different websites.. which is.. not fun.. when you are just trying to be helpful. :/

Yip... this happened to me and not with just one random person.. first one was.... slightly harmless other one not so much...super creepy/scary... True this happened a year or so back, but why I am warning people, also...

Sure, it's helpful? and you get to give back too... But at the cost of saftey and privacy... naaaah.. I don't want to learn spanish quite that badly. lol.

As for other methods, it's pretty much like this.. mixed with Rosetta Stone pictures.

2/26/2013, 11:06:56 PM

https://www.duolingo.com/MindofMykyta

I spent a lot of time on Livemocha in the past and one of the positives to the site is the community, as you can do free French/German/whatever (they do offer A LOT of languages) and it's always good to have your pronunciation graded by native speakers. But you will get bombarded with spam! The free lessons can get a little repetitive though, 40 examples of "he has brown hair, she has red hair, she has black hair, he has dark hair, blah blah blah" but I would recommend the site for added resources.

You didn't specifically mention Rosetta Stone, but I spent a lot of time on Rosetta Stone Chinese and again, it's a good supplement to language learning. Specifically with Chinese, since it is a computer program, it never asks you to physically write something, but that is vital for Chinese/Japanese/Non-Latin alphabet languages. Also, the speaking component (for a $500 program) is quite frankly broken. It gives you a sentence, you attempt to speak Chinese, and it gives you 6/10. Then, attempt the same sentence and speak in English or gibberish or anything, and it will give you 10/10. Sure doesn't make me feel comfortable attempting to speak Chinese to a native speaker. It is a fun way to practice at the end of the day or whatever, but if you complete all the levels of RS (as I have), you will NOT be fluent or even have the ability to have an in-depth conversation, but it helps you remember words.

Hope it helps!

2/26/2013, 11:43:04 PM

https://www.duolingo.com/litecrush

Livemocha is actually free but has extra features that you pay for (I believe). I wouldn't say that there are stalkers on that website, just a lot of people who are eager to learn. So far I haven't come across anyone who wants details of my personal life. I haven't spent enough time on the website to really know if the programs they have are good or not but it is useful to talk to others who know the languages you're trying to learn. You just have to keep in mind that they won't always be correct.

2/28/2013, 4:30:34 PM
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.