https://www.duolingo.com/PatrickOsa

Luxembourgish Lessons #33: Past Participles as Adjectives

Welcome to number thirty-three of the Luxembourgish lessons, which will go over using past participles as modifiers and an interesting exception to the passive voice.

Predicative v. Attributive

Past participles (as participles) can sometimes take the role of an adjective. As predicative modifiers, past participles would operate as they would in the passive voice.

Look at the past participle gedréckt (printed), for example. If I wanted to say "The paper is printed", it would translate as De Pabeier gëtt gedréckt. You would not say De Pabeier ass gedréckt (under most circumstances).

As attributive modifiers, past participles work like any other adjectives, meaning that they follow the inflection and article rules I have discussed back in lesson #9.

Again looking at gedréckt, if instead I wanted to say "The printed paper", it would translate as Dee gedréckde Pabeier

Exceptions

Earlier I noted that one would not stay a predicative past participle like something as De Pabeier ass gedréckt under most circumstances. However, some descriptive past participles are so common that their passive forms are often dropped and can be treated as regular adjectives.

A good example of this is the past participle of beandrocken (to impress), being beandrockt. If I wanted to say "I am impressed", it would translate as Ech si beandrockt, NOT Ech gi beandrockt.

Prior Lessons

Next Lesson

4/5/2017, 1:21:02 AM

0 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.