https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Casper_duo

HIGH PRIORITY small but significant improvement inspired by Memrise

When you write an answer in Memrise, once you entered the correct answer, they will accept your answer automatically, even without submitting it by pressing the enter key.
In fact, you'll only submit the answer once you had given up and have no clue how to do it.
Until this moment arrives, you can still try to edit it, try multiple combinations, and most of the time you'll get there eventually.
It's like cracking a safe. Once you have the correct combo the door it gets unlocked.

This will improve your spelling guessing abilities significantly.
You'll develop a "feel" of what is correct, and what might you can change to make it so.
You'll become aware of common spelling combinations in that language.
It's like pointing a flashlight straight onto them.

You get no clues other then that, that you possess the knowledge that your answer is still wrong and you need to change something to fix it.
It's much less annoying too, when you type a really long sentence and then get disqualified by just a small typo and have to redo everything from the start.

This is much better then Duo approach that evaluate your answer only by correct and incorrect.
This will also reduce the number of "close enough" answers which Duo accepts, and your sense of accomplishment and confidence will increase if you've no mistakes.

April 8, 2017

9 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/EpicPowerHero

Well, I guess if it could be enabled/disabled it would be good, since some people wouldn't like it.

April 9, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Espatially

1.) Memrise only does that after you got it wrong -- not the first time they assess your knowledge of the word or phrase

2.) I like Duo because they don't do this, it feels like cheating. I do NOT want help or answers without manually hovering over the word like I do on Duo

3.) Memrise is timed, and they automatically switch to the next question and don't give you time to take notes

4.) Memrise is helpful to memorize things, which is the basis of their method, but their lessons are haphazard compared to Duo. Memrise has better speakers/audio/video though.

I'm not saying Memrise isn't good, because I use it. But I still prefer Duo's platform, and I hope neither company changes who they are or what they offer.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/CaptainCIarky

maybe this addition could be implemented as an optional feature. then u could turn it off.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Casper_duo

1) It's not true. I don't know on what do you base this information.

2) This can be easily implemented in the settings as an on/off switch, and you can select your preference.
Besides that, guessing the answer, when you can, instead of hovering and seeing, is much better for your recollection.

3) Memrise is timed only when you do speed review. Again, don't know on what do you base this information.

From your answer it doesn't sound like you know it very well, forgive me if I'm wrong.

One other thing that I really like about it is their pro feature "Meet the natives".
They record short video clips with sentences from random people on the street to check your listening comprehension.
I think it's really fun and funny and make you feel more connected to the language and the people, so you don't hear just a robot voice all the time, and you can actually connect it to a face.
The only unfortunate thing about it is that they have a relative small amount of those, so they repeat too quickly.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/tolunayo

If you use Memrise through it's web interface most questions are timed and it will consider the question wrong if you do not answer in time. It seems like you have only used Memrise through app and the other user mostly used it through the web. Just like Duolingo, there are differences in input and there are actually different types of questions available via web site as well. (Plus I noticed that on some courses at least the web site will accept unaccented characters as correct as well)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Thomas.Heiss

3) There is a user script called "Timer disabler".

So it is no exhause to whine around how bad Memrise (web) is for typing, when there is actually a workaround (my whole DuoLingo web was a BIG BIG workaround with 12 active DuoLingo user scripts!!!), which you can combine with even more good user scripts / more workarounds to boost your learning (and effective reviews) :-)

And did I say it already?
I still hate to use DuoLingo on the new portal (Scala code) where at least 10,5 of those great scripts are not working anymore!!!
e.g the DuoLingo timer excercise is just like pain in the ass, to speak with clear words.
I really really miss "DuoLessonsFix" that much!!

There is another Memrise script called "Timer controls" (which I have not been tested successfully) which shall add icons which you can use to adjust the timer instead of completely deactiving it. Dunno why that was not working in my short test.

Plus I noticed that on some courses at least the web site will accept unaccented characters as correct as well)

This is correct. This is called "strict typing" vs "non-strict typing".
Most Memrise-DuoLingo courses seem to force "strict typing" whereas the Portuguese BR Basic, offical PT1-7 Memrise courses are more relaxed and accept answers without any accented characters (non-strict typing).

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Espatially

Memrise does time you when you have to type. Try typing a 3-word phrase in 15 seconds in Russian, when you have just learned the alphabet and you are just learning the keyboard! It was never a problem for Swedish because I already know the Swedish keyboard, but Russian, wow, I got frustrated quickly.

Memrise only green-lights/red-lights your text after you got it wrong and they are trying to help you.

I've done Swedish and Russian on Memrise and it was like this for both languages. I only do official Memrise courses though, no user-created courses. I have never created a course so I don't know how it goes, but course creators might opt out of timed exercises for the courses you are doing. Also, even official Memrise courses are developed by different people so I'm sure the method of assessment is different for each language. I have actually written to Memrise asking them for the ability to toggle off the timer.

Edited: Yes the Natives part of Memrise is great, I like the videos, and their speakers are clearer, better -- and they get the learner accustomed to the fast-paced speaking of natives.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Thomas.Heiss

1) I am using a Memrise user script called "Memrise Autocorrect" from Cooljingle, which adds all special Portuguese signs, when I type the words.

This saves time AND is even improved, as I see all those characters for the full sentence BEFORE I hit submit/enter.

This script works IMHO a little bit different than the Memrise script Casper_Duo is talking about.
He is using a script where you do not have to press ENTER anymore to move to the next question as soon as you have given the correct answer.
So the script continually has to check each typed word and moves one character or word forward, if correct....or not, if wrong, and if the answer is finally right to the next question in auto-mode.
So you even safe time by not having to hit the ENTER key anymore.

With the AutoCorrect script I am using I actually have to press ENTER myself, so I can adjust and type whatever I am happy with the longer sentences.

I have no real idea when the sentence is 100% right or wrong.
Well, sometimes "!" and "?" are added to the end automatically, so I know: Yes, I was right. But that is rarely.

But it tremendously helps me to save time without having to type all special Portuguese characters AND that I can see my words/characters being changes as I am typing it, without having to check a corrected solution answer (including accents and stuff).
So to me this is just some enhancement for "strict typing" courses like Memrise-DuoLingo-PT and extending "non-strict" courses like "50 languages", Memrise, etc. even more.
DuoLingo on the other side accepts Portuguese text input without any special characters/signs (non-strict typing) and only AFTER submitting the answer it shows the complete solution WITH all those signs (which I do not type, but I would like to see in my answer text field).
This only partly helps me in my Portuguese learning, but I also somehow hated the Memrise DuoLingo BR "strict typing" course, so using "AutoCorrect" even improved that much more!
I would love if some script gurus could implement something like that (any of both solutions) for DuoLingo to further improve rememering all the Portuguese typing words (which should help to improve writing) and seeing them in the same text field.

It is way more difficult to check the solution answer text field.
I hope they will continue to underline words, maybe by red/green, etc. in the solution text field as they did in the old Duo (Python code) portal.
Seeing just the normal solution text without any visual highlighting - including accents - and comparision with your own given answer would be not be that great help.

Please note:
I have deactived multiple-choice and tapping on Memrise web and use "all-typing" for normal (blue) reviews on the web, even with the offical PT1-5 courses, which also contain longer phrases/sentences vs Memrise-DuoLingo (short single word) vocabulary courses.

3) There is a user script called "Timer disabler".

So it is no exhause to whine around how bad Memrise (web) is for typing, when there is actually a workaround (my whole DuoLingo web was a BIG BIG workaround with 12 active DuoLingo user scripts!!!), which you can combine with even more good user scripts / more workarounds to boost your learning (and effective reviews) :-)

And did I say it already?
I still hate to use DuoLingo on the new portal (Scala code) where at least 10,5 of those great scripts are not working anymore!!!
e.g the DuoLingo timer excercise is just like pain in the ass, to speak with clear words.
I really really miss "DuoLessonsFix" that much!!

There is another Memrise script called "Timer controls" (which I have not been tested successfully) which shall add icons which you can use to adjust the timer instead of completely deactiving it. Dunno why that was not working in my short test.

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.