Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/PatrickOsa

Luxembourgish Lessons #36: Participles & Gerunds

PatrickOsa

Welcome to number thirty-six of the Luxembourgish Lessons. This lesson will discuss forming and using two kinds of verbs: participles and gerunds.

Preface:

Before I get into this lesson, I must state that most (if not all) information coming from this lessons is more speculative than definitive, since I couldn't find a lot of verification of how these grammatical features work in Luxembourgish, and the only ones I could find broadly mention them working the same in German. If any information that can actually confirm/deny what follows, I will be sure to either edit or re-post this post (depending on how much of a difference there is).

Gerunds

Gerunds are verbs that act like nouns. Gerunds in Luxembourgish look the exact same as their respective infinitives, with one exception. Consider the two words below:

• liesen
  • Liesen

The difference between the two is that liesen means "to read", but Liesen means "reading", as in "Reading is fun" (whether or not that statement rings true is up to you). Since gerunds act like nouns, they must be capitalized.

All gerunds are neuter nouns. Also, gerunds cannot take the plural.

Participles

Participles are verbs that act as adjectives. I've already discussed using past participles in previous lessons (specifically lessons #19 and #33), so refer to those lessons to learn about past participles.

Present participles are actually on the decline in Luxembourgish (from what I hear), so forming it is basically how one would do so in German, which is to add a "d" after an infinitive verb. For example, blenden (to blind) would become blendend (blinding).

And as such, since these are verbs that act like adjectives, they go through all the rules adjectives follow, including the inflection and comparison rules I've discussed in lessons #9 and #12 respectively, but I'll leave a few charts down below explaining what I mean:

Positive Inflecetion

Comparative Inflection

Same as positive inflection, but with the word méi (more) in front. Ex. méi blendend (more blinding)

Superlative Inflection (most)

Prior Lessons

Next Lesson

1 year ago

0 Comments