Problem Report (new Duolingo)
After answering the question on the re-written Duolingo site (which I was migrated as of yesterday), I noticed the following broken functionality:
1) I tried to click "Discuss Sentence" and it did nothing. Normally, it would link to the sentence discussion thread in the forum. This is an important feature as one learns a lot from these discussions. Update: I figured that this is due to Duolingo trying to open a popup window (which goes to a different tab on Chrome). Definitely, it is a change of behavior from the old site which would be a modal popup on the same window.
2) Also "Report a problem" button on the sentence does not allow making a suggestion. It does not have the same choices as the old site. It was an important function to be able to make suggestions. Over the years, at least 2 dozen of my suggestions were incorporated into the Spanish from English and English form Spanish courses as alternative valid translations. Update: "My answer should be accepted" is now only available when the question is marked as error. I think I used to be able to make suggestions on the old site even when I got the translation correct. There was yet another choice to type free format problem report. That is gone on both good and bad answers. I often used that box to justify why my alternate translation was correct or suggest alternatives to the added.
3) Shortcuts are not working the same way. Translating from English to Spanish (single word) exercises, at the old site, one was able to pick "El" and "La" by hitting 1 or 2 on the keyboard. Now, you either have to type or move your hand to the mouse or other pointing device and click. The problem is that it takes more time and especially during timed tests one does not want to use time inefficiently. Please bring back the keyboard shortcuts and make sure they are the same with the old and new site. Update: (4/25/2017) It looks like they have fixed this problem.
1) I tried to click "Discuss Sentence" and it did nothing.
According to what I read from other users, it's now a pop up window. Thus, when clicking on the button, check your browser isn't blocking the new window.
2) Also "Report a problem" button on the sentence does not allow making a suggestion.
Did the "My answer should be accepted disappeared"? It'd be indeed a bad news!
3) [...] The problem is that it takes more time
Not saying they shouldn't bring the number shortcut back, but is typing "el" really that longer than typing 1?
1) Yes, I did figure that out eventually but it was an unexpected behavior change for me. I guess I actually like it this way, as I can click open the discussion and continue during the timed test.
2) I make an update on this as well. That choice is available if you actually make a mistake. I kind of remembered it was available when I entered something correct. I am probably mistaken. But there was also another checkbox with a free form text box next to it (other) that I could freely type something about the problem. I often used it to justify why my answer is valid (giving links etc.)
3) Well, type 1 or 2 is just one character. You are replacing it with 3 character sequence. Every little bit of time helps in timed tests. I guess, I was so used to using the shortcuts now I type 1 and the word. Realize it is bad. Erase/edit it. Takes much more time. :(
1) It was unexpected to me too. ;) Thanksfully someone mentioned it in forums otherwise I think I'd have gone crazy when I'll be switch to new version. But I already don't like it (but will live with it). ;)
2) I think it was available when wrong but also when "typo".
As a contributor, I confirm the free-text one was sometimes usefully used but I can also confirm most of the times it wasn't (spam/crap). So I can't guess if it's on purpose that it's not here anymore or not.
3) I have to confess, I never noticed the numbers were working for that. And since on my FR keyboard the numbers need to hold pressed the shift key, it's not really practical. Well, more practical for me to type the 3 characters. ;)
You may want to publish your useful feedback directly in the official discussion (created by staff) about the new version: here. It'l have more chance to be read by staff, IMO.
Discuss sentence button also broken for Safari users on OS X. To fix this you have to go to Safari>Preferences>Security & uncheck "Block pop-up windows"
This is an important functionality of Safari which I choose to leave on. Duolingo should fix their code to be compliant. A broken button is not what users expect. Note that the "Block pop-up windows" is on be default in all modern browsers.
It looks like they have fixed it. At least in Spanish course. I will still continue to be watchful to see they have forgotten to support the shortcut somewhere.
I have been working on Duolingo almost daily for a half hour (at least) per day since last November (2016) and I have not advanced the orange line at all to move from level 25 to level 26. I am getting at least 80% of sentences correct but absolutely nothing changes as far as gaining more percentage points or reaching level 26. Has anyone else had this problem? I am getting VERY FRUSTRATED.
It is because, there is no level 26! There is nobody at level 26. Ignore the suggestions of Duolingo via emails for reaching level 26.
Keep your tree gold but you might also want to do the reverse course (English from French) and complete the reverse tree and advance it to level 25 as well. You will learn a lot of French that you did not learn in the first place. I've done the same with Spanish.