Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/Romanianpuppies

Tips on the Romanian course!!!!! (Speaking, Reading, Translating, and Writing)

The Romanian course is still in beta and has almost 100K people taking it. So, I have put together some tips on learning Romanian. I am a native speaker that is trying to improve my Romanian so some of these tips help me.

Speaking/Pronunciation

Learning to speak Romanian can be very hard for some people. Here are some tips: 1. Make sure speaking/listening is turned on in your Duolingo settings. This way you will be able to practice saying words better.

1. Listen to a native speaker. Whether it may be your mom, dad, best friend, or a Romanian teacher a fluent native speaker can teach you a lot of things. Note that the language does differ in some parts of the country compared to others. (Example when saying bread some Romanians say pita while others say paine). For the most part, Romanian is the same wherever you go.

2. Pay attention to the differences. Something I for one have had trouble with are the three different Romanian a's. To help remember how to pronounce the letters remember a word that has that letter and say the word over and over. Then you will know how to pronounce the letter.

3. Sound out every letter. This is also a reading tip, but it helps you speak better as well. In English, there are a lot of silent letters. In Romanian, there aren't any. So if you ever have any trouble pronouncing a word just sound it out.

Reading

1. This is the same as #4 from Speaking. Sound out every letter. This is also a speaking tip, but it helps you read better as well. In English, there are a lot of silent letters. In Romanian, there aren't any. So if you ever have any trouble pronouncing a word just sound it out.

2. Read Romanian books. Take a book that you know well and see if it is in Romanian. If it's not then you can always look online and find a Romanian elementary school (or maybe even higher) level book. Reading fluently in a language takes lots of practice.

3. Have someone read a Romanian book to you. They could read one chapter and you the next. This way you will practice both your reading, listening, and pronunciation.

4. Change your phone/tablet's keyboard language setting to Romanian. The get a friend and try to only text in Romanian. This way you will be doing something you always do and be practicing Romanian at the same time by reading text messages in Romanian.

5. Start learning English from Romanian. If you think you're really good at Romanian or have finished the Romanian tree then this tip is for you. AND English from Romanian is already on mobile!

Translating

1. Review nightly. This could be reviewing flashcards or practicing Romanian on Duolingo. Reviewing a language helps you not forget it.

2. When you hear a word you don't know write it down. You may not spell it correctly, but then when you have a chance you can find out what it means and just like that you now know a new word in Romanian!

3. Find similar languages. Romanian is part of the language family/group called the Romance languages. This includes Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and more. Many times words from these languages are the same. This is not always true, but it's good to know when studying or guessing what a word means. (Fun fact: Some Native Italians can understand 50% or more of Romanian). You can learn more about similarities of Romance languages by looking at their lexical similarity.

Writing

1. Just like in Speaking, and Reading spell out words. Romanian, like I have said before, doesn't have (or not as many) silent letters as English. So, sounding out a word in Romanian will definitely help you.

2. (This is the same as #4 in Reading). Change your phone/tablet's keyboard language setting to Romanian. The get a friend and try to only text in Romanian. This way you will be doing something you always do and be practicing Romanian at the same time.

Certainly, there are more tips/resources available. I will continue to try to add to this. Make sure you follow this discussion so you will have all of the updates to this list. If you have any questions please ask! Also, if you think I was wrong with something or that there's another tip I should add please tell me.

1 year ago

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/poftim
poftim

Thanks for these tips. I am an English teacher based in Timișoara, so obviously here I have the benefit of being immersed in the Romanian language and culture, although even then, younger people like to speak English to me (a bit annoying!) and it isn't that easy to meet new people.

Even if you don't live in Romania there's a ton of real-life Romanian content online, and you're better off going down that route rather than trying to take any kind of formal course. As far as courses go, I'd certainly recommend Learn Romanian with Nico. They give you a good grounding in the basics, in an entertaining and nicely presented way.

I've had mixed experiences with the Romanian Duolingo course so far. I've given up on trying to keep everything gold - doing so would take 3 or 4 hours a day for me, which is totally unrealistic. Seeing all the topics weaken almost the moment I strengthen them is quite demotivating! I'll try and spend 30-60 mins a day on Duolingo, reviewing old stuff and tackling some new stuff, and see how far that gets me.

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/ButterflyTeach3r

I understand how you feel! A couple of months ago I was at that point. I decided not to worry about keeping things gold, and decided I would divide up my 5 topics a day (50 points) into 3 strengthening and 2 new. In this way over several months I finished the tree. Then I made a list of which topics were most important to ME (prioritized) and focused on turning them gold one at a time from top to bottom (of my list). I STILL don't have the whole tree gold, but I am much more satisfied with my progress, and I had lots of smaller successes to celebrate along the way. Hope that helps.

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/WaltherHew1
WaltherHew1

Thank you for the tips, but i still cannot understand romanian usage of verb with subject(which subject belongs to which verb).

5 months ago