"Die Uni ist groß."

Translation:The uni is large.

March 1, 2013



"Uni" is normal in colloquial British English as well.

September 7, 2014


Only in the last 20 years or so! Before that it was rare.

October 10, 2014


Not at all. I was at university in the late 1970s and "uni" was how we, as students, referred to it even then.

October 11, 2014


I suppose it depends on which institution and the speed of change. It always used to be varsity clubs in England, didn't it.

October 15, 2014


It's the same in Australia.

I guess it's only rare in the US because they typically call unis "colleges".

Incidentally, what's the German word for what the Brits and Aussies call "colleges"?

June 14, 2015



April 25, 2016


That's not the same thing. What I'm talking about is on-campus accomodation.

April 25, 2016


I've no idea what you're talking about. On-campus accommodation is "halls [of residence]" in the UK, "dorm[itorie]s" in the US, and "living on res[idence]" in Australia. A college is a non-university tertiary institute or TAFE, or a sixth-form separated from a school, or a division of a university.

Anyway, this is Studentenwohnheim in German.

April 25, 2016


Then it must only be Australia that uses it this way. In Australia, a college is a place at a university people live. For example, I was at college for my first year of uni, but moved into an apartment for the rest of the degree.

A college can also be "a division of a university" e.g. The College of Physical Sciences, The College of Mathematical Studies etc. You can make the argument that the colleges you stay in also fall under this category; but even so, asking an Australian if they're at a college will be understood to be a question about their living arangements (unless the question comes from an American, because we know what "college" means there).

April 25, 2016


he is probably referring to colleges the way they have them at oxford and cambridge. I can't believe they have changed that. For example I applied to Queens, years ago...

May 2, 2016


"Uni" is also commonly used in Canada, or at least Ontario. I probably hear my friends and co-workers use it more than "university". I think it's more of a young people thing.

August 1, 2016


Is there a difference between Uni and Hochschule?

June 18, 2015


Basically it means the same. I would say the difference is how often it is used. Uni is more common. You could say for example "Ich habe morgen Uni." (I have classes at the university tomorrow), you wouldn't use Hochschule here. Another difference that is possible is that you would call a former Fachhochschule Hochschule and not Uni. Fachhochschulen (that today are called Hochschulen, though Hochschule is a synonym for Universität as well) are very similar to universities but slightly more practically orientated.

July 27, 2015


Uni is the typical word for university in german?

March 1, 2013


It's a colloquial abbreviation for "Universität". Among students or friends you'll virtually never hear 'die Universität'. You shouldn't use it in formal settings, however.

March 1, 2013


Pretty much the same as in Scottish English; although it wouldn't go amiss in the majority of formal settings here. :P

March 8, 2014


And English :) "I'm off to Uni" or "which Uni are you going to?" and so on. It's pretty common. That said, I didn't know the Germans did the same thing so I told the Owl that the universe was big.....I want my lingot back! :p

June 16, 2015


its not common to use "Uni" in the US. we just use college or university

June 20, 2015


I am glad you mentioned this.

February 25, 2019


Danke für die Erklärung.

July 5, 2014


Exactly the same as in Australia then.

April 25, 2016


Vil gjerne undersøke deg nærmere.

October 6, 2017


I would always hear people call college Uni when speaking. I never heard Universitat in informal settings (non-native speaker, but attended German schools for a few years).

September 2, 2013


Common in the UK.....many people say it started from the Australian soap opera Neighbours !

December 2, 2015


When speaking, yes. In writing you would generally write Universität, but it just sounds awkward and is very long, so Uni is preferred.

March 1, 2013


In the US, I've never heard "Uni" used to refer to "university". Instead we generally may say "college" or the use the complete word "university". More accurately, colleges are smaller. In fact, a university in the US may have several "colleges" within it, for example the college of engineering or the college of arts & sciences. Each college offers a degree program in their respective field, but are both part of the same university.

June 20, 2015


Uni is a British term

June 20, 2015


So what is the plural of "Uni" then? Is it "Unis?"

May 18, 2015


Yes. Die Uni. (singular) and Die Unis (plural)

July 27, 2015


Is it my imagination or does it switch between Der and Die but stay Uni (this sentence was given twice and I got them both wrong because of the switch)?

October 28, 2015


No, it uses always "die".

December 21, 2015


A minute ago university was an incorrect translation of Uni. Now, it is okay. Arghhh.

March 1, 2016


Bad pronunciation! I hear clearly KURS instead of GROSS

February 11, 2017


In the US, the nick name for university is "U", as in "I go to the U". This is a poor translation and should accept more variations in answers.

January 4, 2018
Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.