"If you do not leave now, you miss the bus."

Translation:Dacă voi nu plecați acum, voi pierdeți autobuzul.

May 5, 2017

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/marduk23j

1 , de unde stim in propozitia asta daca e you singular sau plural ? 2. din nou nimeni nu vorbeste asa in ROmania.

Daca nu pleci (plecati) acum veti pierde autobuzul.

Nu se dubleaza subiectul in propozitii conexe

May 5, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/razvan.marin

I'm going to write in English to ease understanding for foreigners learning the language and trying to understand the points that you bring as I find them very interesting.

So, to your first point, how do we know whether you is singular or plural? We don't, reason for which both translations are or should be accepted.

To your second point, that natives wouldn't restate voi in the second sentence, well, it's not really wrong. While very unlikely to be repeated, it is not impossible, but most importantly it isn't wrong despite what your primary school Romanian teacher might have told you (yeah, we get told not to do this because it's ugly).

I would certainly not reject someone's answer when learning the language because of this, nor would I personally find it strange should I hear a fellow native say this. I can even think of a legitimate use case of actually explicitly having it which is to empathize that it is you who is going to miss the buss, as opposed to me or us.

I may be wrong, but I believe all the following are accepted, and if they aren't, then they should be:

Maybe you're talking to a group of people, and they'd be all missing the bus:

• Dacă voi nu plecați acum, voi pierdeți autobuzul.
  • Dacă voi nu plecați acum, pierdeți autobuzul.
  • Dacă nu plecați acum, voi pierdeți autobuzul.
  • Dacă nu plecați acum, pierdeți autobuzul.

Or maybe you're talking to a single person, but others depend on him so they would all be missing the bus (with or even without him):

• Dacă tu nu pleci acum, voi pierdeți autobuzul.
  • Dacă tu nu pleci acum, pierdeți autobuzul.
  • Dacă nu pleci acum, voi pierdeți autobuzul.
  • Dacă nu pleci acum, pierdeți autobuzul.

Or, the opposite, you are talking to a group on which a single person you may be addressing depends on:

• Dacă voi nu plecați acum, tu pierzi autobuzul.
  • Dacă voi nu plecați acum, pierzi autobuzul.
  • Dacă nu plecați acum, tu pierzi autobuzul.
  • Dacă nu plecați acum, pierzi autobuzul.

Or just talking to someone that's solely going to miss it:

• Dacă tu nu pleci acum, tu pierzi autobuzul.
  • Dacă tu nu pleci acum, pierzi autobuzul.
  • Dacă nu pleci acum, tu pierzi autobuzul.
  • Dacă nu pleci acum, pierzi autobuzul.
May 5, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/potestasity

Actually, I'd find it strange for a speaker to say that. IMO, lack of pronoun dropping is one of the most common giveaways that someone isn't a native speaker.

Of course, I wouldn't count this answer as "wrong", but I wouldn't leave it as the de facto translation. As you said, usage of "voi" here only sounds natural when emphasized and it's a bit of a stretch to imagine a context in which that emphasis is needed twice. It's confusing to learners because said emphasis is not illustrated in text and because, in all cases, the English version is the same.

May 5, 2017
Learn Romanian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.