https://www.duolingo.com/RosalineBara8

A letter written in German

Hello, fellow German speakers.

I shan't say my overall German skills are very good, I'm often on and off with learning the language, therefore I feel I need help with reviewing a letter I've tried writing in German.

I thought I'd test myself.

Now, understanding that,over time, one can forget basic grammatical rules (such as how to use 'dein/e/er) I expect many mistakes so I was hoping if you could correct them. Notes on where I went wrong (or suggestions on more easeful/preferred/less awkward phrasing) would be much appreciated. I expect to have repeated the same mistake a few times so feel free to use keys to refer to your original explanation.

One final thing I may ask, I understand that the cases (Dative, Accusative, Direct/Indirect object) are of importance within these sentences, however I've never been able (nor have the patience to) learn it. Would you be kind enough to suggest a exercise/website which might help me learn it?

Thank you!

MY ATTEMPT:

Liebe Felix und Familie,

Ich hoffe Sie sind alles gut!

Es tut mir leid für schon für nicht schreiben zu dir! Leider, hat dieses Jahr so schnell gegangen, und A Level prüfung sind nah gekommen.

Ich war wirklich glücklich dieses Brief emfangen. Man braucht nicht zu entschuldigen- Ich hat diese Skype nachricht lesen machen. Danke! Die Geschenke du hast wunderbar geschickt. Danke schön! Die Schildkröte ist schön. Ich wurde gern nemmen ihn nach diese Schildkröte. Der 'Wichtel' Ich hat an die Weilnachtsbaum hängen. Auch, das Gebrannte Madeln war lecker!

Leider, have Ich nie nach ein Weilnachtenmarkt gegangen. So es war ein wunderbar geschenk. Sie veilleicht habe in grosser Städte aber sie sind eindeutig abhalten jeder jahr in Städte! Leute kommt aus meilen genau zu sie gegangen. Ich werde von Holz und Glas-machen gegenstände druben ver kauft auch essen zum beispiele Schokolade 'Küsse' und Bratwurst.

Bin Ich richtig sagen in Deutschland geschenke sind Tauschen an heilige abend? Auc, bist du zu Kirche bevor aufmachen diene geschenke gangen?

Es hat schon einig jetzt, aber hat du mein Brief ich schicken lezte Winter-zeit letzes Jahr emfangen, und die Illustration von dir vor zwei geburtstage? Abvol mein malen ist nicht sehr gut, ich hoffe dir gern es.

Es tut mir wirklich leid ich habe nicht schrieben zu dir früher sich wunshen dir der beste während deiner Abitur. Ich have vage idee was es ist (like) für dir. Es ist sonderbar wie unsere Land('s) sind (education system) veschieden. Ich hoffe du hast genug zeit entspannt und mit deiner familie geniessen.

(By the way,) danke für die Fotos. Es ist (lovely to see you all having) ein gute zeit (together), und (at such breath-taking places too!). Ich (especially) gern (how you have the same pose and expression in the sunset and by-the-riverside) Fotos (during your time in Iceland).

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO WRITE THE REST, SO HERE IT IS IN ENGLISH-

Lastly, the thing called 'EPQ' (Extended Qualification Project- an AS Level) that I told you about on WhatsApp, well it's been sent off now. Thank you so much for aiding me, despite being busy, during it! You really helped me a lot, and it has certainly encouraged me to try and continue German in the future. My conversation went well: I spoke about the weather, my free time, and what I did in my last summer holiday.

I don't think I've ever asked you properly, what subjects have you been studying? Are all compulaory, for you're then able to study any course at university level, or are your subject specific?

Besides from archery, what else do you do as a hobby?

I also hope our families may see eachother again soon. I hope to write to you more too.

Regards,

xxxxx

IN ENGLISH (in case what I've written can't be understood- the English at the end of the former one still applies)

Dear Felix and family,

I hope you are all well!

I cannot apologise enough for not having written to you. I'm afraid this year has gone so fast, and A Level exams are drawing alarmingly near.

I was really happy to receive your letter! There's no need to apologise- I did read your Skype message, thank you! The presents you sent me are wonderful! Thank you so much! The tortoise is beautiful. I should like to call him after your tortoise!

The 'Wichtel' I had hanging on our X-mas tree. Also, the Gebrannte Madeln was delicious! Unfortunately, I've never been to a X-mas market, so it was a lovely treat! They may have them in larger towns, but they're definitely held every year in cities! People come from miles just to go to them. I know of wooden and glass-made objects being sold there, as well as foods such as Schokolade 'Küsse' and Bratwursts.

Am I correct in saying that in Germany presents are exchanged on X-mas Eve, and that you have a symbolic figure called the 'Christ-child'? Also, do you go to church on X-mas Day before opening your presents?

It has been ages ago now, but did you receive my letter I send around winter-time last year, and the illustration of yourself two birthdays ago? Although my drawing skills aren't very good, I hope you liked it.

I'm really sorry I hadn't written sooner to wish you the best during you Abitur. I have a vague idea what it's about. It's strange how different our country's education systems are. I do hope you have enough time to relax and enjoy yourself with your family.

(AND THEN THE REST IN ENGLISH FROM ABOVE)

May 14, 2017

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/MortiBiRD

Lieber Felix und liebe Familie,

Ich hoffe euch allen geht es gut!

Es tut mir Leid, dass ich euch nicht schon früher geschrieben habe! Leider verging das Jahr sehr schnell und die A-Level-Prüfung steht an.

Ich habe mich sehr über diesen Brief gefreut. Es ist nicht notwendig sich zu entschuldigen. Ich habe deine Skypenachricht gelesen, danke! Die Geschenke, die du geschickt hast, sind wunderbar. Danke schön! Die Schildkröte ist schön. Ich möchte sie nach deiner Schildkröte benennen. Ich habe den 'Wichtel' an den Weihnachtsbaum gehängt und die gebrannten Mandeln waren sehr lecker.

Ist es richtig, dass Geschenke am Heiligabend aufgemacht werden? (I changed the verb, if you really want to say exchange you can stick with it, but for me it sounds more fitting to use open.) Gehst du zur Kirche bevor du deine Geschenke öffnen darfst?

Es ist schon eine Zeit her, aber hast du meinen Brief, den ich dir letzten Winter geschickt habe, und das Bild von dir an deinem vorletzten Geburtstag empfangen? Obwohl meine Zeichenkünste nicht die Besten sind, hoffe ich, dass es dir gefallen hat.

Es tut mir wirklich Leid, dass ich dir nicht früher geschrieben habe und ich wünsche dir das Beste für dein Abitur. Ich habe die vage Vorstellung wie es für dich ist. Es ist sonderbar wie unterschiedlich die Schulsysteme unserer Länder sind. Ich hoffe du hast noch genug Zeit um dich zu entspannen und dass du die Zeit mit deiner Familie genießt.

Even when its hard, try your best with the remaining english text to create a translation yourself and then share your suggestion.

May 14, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/RosalineBara8

Thank you for your help! It shows how much I've forgotten. ^^;

This short section talking about photographs is the only thing left that I need help with:

'Danke für die Fotos! Es ist wunderbar zu sehen alle sie zusammen ein gute Zeit haben, und so verschnaufen Orte auch! Besonders, gern Ich du hast gleiche haltung in die Sonnenuntergang und neben-der-Fluss Fotos während deiner Zeit im Island.

May 20, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/MortiBiRD

'Danke für die Fotos! Es ist wunderbar zu sehen, dass ihr alle zusammen eine schöne (you could also say gute, but it sounds a bit awkward Zeit habt und das an so atemberaubenden Orten! Ich mag besonders, wie du hast gleiche Pose in den Fotos, in dem mit dem Sonnenuntergang und in dem neben dem Fluss beide aus deiner Zeit in Island, hast.

Some of your german sentences remind me of my latin lessons.

May 20, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/alsoich

"Es tut mir leid für schon für nicht schreiben zu dir!" -- "Es tut mir leid dass ich schon lange nicht mehr euch/dir geschrieben habe."

"Leider, hat dieses Jahr so schnell gegangen, und A Level prüfung sind nah gekommen." -- "Leider ist dieses Jahr so schnell gegangen, und die A Level Prüfungen sind nah gekommen."

"Ich war wirklich glücklich dieses Brief emfangen." -- "Es freute mich euren Brief zu empfangen."

May 14, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/alsoich

"(By the way,) danke für die Fotos. Es ist (lovely to see you all having) ein gute zeit (together), und (at such breath-taking places too!). Ich (especially) gern (how you have the same pose and expression in the sunset and by-the-riverside) Fotos (during your time in Iceland). "

"Übrigens, danke für die Fotos. Es ist schön zu sehen dass ihr alle eine gute Zeit zusammen habt, und auch noch auf solche atembenehmenden Orten. ??? "

May 14, 2017
Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.