Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/InuzukaShino

Problems in the Japanese from English course

InuzukaShino

I tested out the new course and there are many problems, I think.

Now I do not have much time, but I explain some of them. As I rushed through the tree, there could - and will - be much more.

• The particle は (ha) should be pronounced like "wa" not "ha". It is a problem, because sometimes normal words are also devided, where は has to be pronunced as "ha", like in はしります ("hashirimasu"). A solution could be to provide both variants and the learner can divide them by ear.
  • The particle へ should be pronunced as "e", not "he". Same problem and same possible solution as for the particle は.
  • ときどき and some other japanese words seem to not have an audio file? As often I tapped on them, there was no audio.
  • Kanji compounds: The two Kanji for 一人are diveded into two boxes, and if a learner chooses them, he hears the japanese spellings "ichi" and "jin", when he chooses it, so that he may think, that the Japanese word for "alone" is "ichi-jin", but together these Kanji should be pronounced as "hitori" - I am afraid, this could be with other kanji compounds the same. These "kanji words" shouldn´t be devided.
  • You've been ask to translate "eight days" in an English sentence. In Japanese, this is written with two kanji (八日), one for "eight" (八) and one for "day" (日), but this kanji compound is divided into two boxes in the exercise. If you tap on each of them, you will be provided by on audio of the Japanese words for them: "hachi" and "hi", so the student may think, "eight days" will be "hachi-hi" in Japanese, which is wrong, because the correct spelling for this compound is ようか "Youka". A solution may be either, to not divide such compounds or to provide these kanji with different spellings, so that the student can choose the correct one.
  • In the sentence 椅子はその上です you can hear the following: " boushi ha sono ge desu". I am not sure, if this pronunciation is also possible here, but normally it should be pronounced as "ue" in this sentense.
  • In a sentense "something between something" the word or kanji for "between" is 間. Like most other kanji it has japanese (aida) and sino-japanese (ma) readings and in this construct you have to use the japanese reading "something no aida something", and not "ma", as in the Duolingo exercise.
1 year ago

5 Comments