Finished Romanian tree
I finally finished my Romanian tree today, after almost 5 months on Duolingo.
I wanted to thank everybody who contributed to the course and made it possible to learn Romanian on Duolingo - it's a really cool language. I started without any prior knowledge about the language and Duolingo was extremely helpful.
I am, however, a bit disappointed by the fact that it doesn't seem like the course is improved with time. It is still in beta and I haven't noticed any changes on it during all my time on Duolingo. There are some questions that very clearly need to be fixed, but they haven't been for months. There are also no lesson notes on the second half of the course.
I do know that it is almost impossible to have a flawless course, and it does take a lot of time to shape a new one, but I was just worried by the fact that it doesn't seem like a lot of work is being done on it at the moment and it does need it. Perhaps with it being available on phones that will change.
In any case, I've learnt a ton of Romanian from it so I can't really complain. Thanks again to anyone who has helped create it :)
There have been changes. If you see a translation error and you're using the website just hit the "report" button and tell them about it. If they think you're right you may even get an email saying that they accept the new translation.
I've gotten ten of the emails, the last one on Friday. So I can confirm they have been going through the reports and fixing things. Which is probably a) pretty time-consuming, and b) not obvious to users who haven't hit that 'report' button a lot.
I hit the report button all the time, but I really haven't checked the mail with which I registered, so you might be right.
I simply noticed mistakes just remaining the same when strengthening skills, but if you're correct, then I'm glad they're working on it.
Also, some bugs are not really easy to report. For example, if you timed practice the whole "Sensations" lesson then in the second half of the practice you get 2 sentences repeating over and over again. I do not know if that is fixed (it wasn't a few days ago), but there were blogs complaining about it.
I just think this course can be great if the small mistakes and bugs are cleared up and will attract many more learners :)
I have finished my Romanian tree last sunday evening. It has taken me exactly 16 weeks to do so as native Dutch with only some basic French as a background. My experience is that the first three parts (above the third castle) have a pretty good structure and that the latter parts are more beta than the first parts. It has surprised me that after this course I could read and understand some religious texts in Romanian for almost 80 percent (I have tried the Our father and the first chapter of the Book of Genesis).