Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/HaiPham1

Adverbs of Quantity

I do not understand about the explanation of Adv of Quantity. especially about the part "Recall that du, de la, and des cannot be used after expressions ending in de, such as adverbs of quantity. Thus, des does not appear before chiens and de la does not appear before bière. However, other articles can follow adverbs of quantity when the noun is specific." may you help with this issue.

Adverbs of Quantity

Imprecise quantities are expressed using adverbs of quantity, which are usually followed by the preposition de.

Il a beaucoup de chiens. — He has a lot of dogs. Il boit trop de bière. — He is drinking too much beer.

Recall that du, de la, and des cannot be used after expressions ending in de, such as adverbs of quantity. Thus, des does not appear before chiens and de la does not appear before bière. However, other articles can follow adverbs of quantity when the noun is specific.

Beaucoup des (de + les) amis de mon frère sont là. — Many of my brother’s friends are here. Je veux plus du (de + le) même. — I want more of the same.

1 year ago

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/MaxJiang3
MaxJiang3

Du, de la and des are just contractions of de le, de la (stays the same), and de les. If you wouldn't use a definite article before the noun (le, la, les), then you shouldn't use du, de la, and des. Note that if we have the contracted l', we use de l' instead of du or d' if the l' replaces le, like in le chien de l'homme (instead of le chien du homme or le chien d'homme).

The examples in your post seem quite good, but here are some others:

For example, for quantities you wouldn't use a definite article, so we say beaucoup de chiens (a lot of dogs, not definite). I believe beaucoup des chiens would translate to a lot of the dogs (notice the article, since it's definite).

On the other hand, we would say les chaises du chien (the chairs of the dog, definite), and say la plage de sable (the beach of sand, not definite so there's no article)

1 year ago