General Feedback on changes
It looks like I'm part of some testing with a new interface on desktop and it doesn't seem like I'm the only one. I just to share some feedback.
- I think the site looks better. I like how it's laid out.
- I noticed the Activity section is gone, but I know that's been something that was being removed. I rarely looked at it.
- I noticed ads coming up on the site. It doesn't bother me. There are ads on every site. These are off to the side and don't get in the way.
- The algorithm for word strengthening has changed. When I refresh a lesson, whether at full strength or not, it's not updating all the Words in the words list. I'm including the words that are part of the lesson. I know I mentioned in another post, I refresh 4 lessons one day and only 13 words were updated. I personally would like all the words that come to be refreshed even if they aren't part of the skill, since they came up, at least have all the words in the lessons come up. That's my main criticism. I've been trying over the last few months to get as many of my Spanish words at full strength by focusing on the lessons instead of refreshing. I worked my way to almost 70% words to 3 or 4.
- I didn't notice this until someone said something, but the Progress Quiz is gone. I didn't see it as much as I should, I wish it was there. I always purchased in case I decide to do it. I wanted to use lingots. Of course, I would like this back.
- The review lesson option is no longer present after completing lessons. I liked looking at this especially when I go something wrong. Sometimes I hit Enter too fast and miss what I did wrong. I need to check. It's usually a spelling mistake or I put the boy eat.
I know Duolingo is making updates, so I hope that some of this feedback will be considered. It's affecting my enjoyment of the site a little bit, but mostly for the language trees that I've completed.
Overall, I do NOT like the changes. On my son's account, he does not have the changes. He still has the old Duolingo, and I much prefer his.
I don't have the ads? So I'm not sure what that's about... I'm definitely not seeing ads but I AM seeing the new layout. My 2 big criticisms: - Sliding between questions. It actually gives me a headache after more than 10 minutes of use (and I generally use Duo for about 30 minutes a day). - No review at the end of lessons. This seems like a total no-brainer to me. Obviously, we would all like that option.
The only thing I do like is the new layout within each module, but that hardly seems worth it.
I don’t seem to have the new layout, but I really miss the review at lesson end. I hope they bring that back. Flashcards have also been removed. Big bummer!
I am hearing impaired. in the past I was able to skip over the "type what you hear" questions and still successfully complete lessons or practices. Now when I ask it to skip a "type what you hear question", it proceeds to ask ONLY "type what you hear questions" and I am unable to progress.
I have also noticed something else with the algorithm for word strengthening. If you refresh a lesson without any wrong answer, no words are refreshed. Weak words aren't strengthen anywhere either. If you get a word wrong, then it will be refreshed. It will sometimes be weakened, though not always. To me, the algorithm seems to punish the user for making a mistake, which is fine, but does not reward a user for getting something correction.