1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Japanese
  4. >
  5. "大学生たち"


Translation:University students

June 10, 2017



What does たちmean?


It adds to a person or animal to form the plural form.


I didn't think Japanese had plurals.


It isn't so much a plural as a collective noun - it turns the noun into 'group including the noun', which doesn't have to be all the same type of thing (like, if they're mostly university students but there's one high schooler with them, you can still use 大学生たちto refer to the group).


So "university student group", where "university student" is more the "naming" or type of the group, rather than "group of university students"?


More like: "A university student and others"


Not plural inflections


Then what is たち if not an inflection? [2019/03/22]

[deactivated user]

    どうもう! That was confusing.


    君 you 君たち them

    私 i 私たち us


    It is used to show that there are number of students not one


    Is there a difference between college and university in Japanese


    There are 4-year traditional universities called 一般大学(いっぱんだいがく) and shorter term usually vocational ones (I think it is like a college, sorry I am not an American) which is called 短期大学(たんきだいがく). Correct me if I am wrong.


    Thanks. I was just curious as I just finished a college degree and wanted to know how I would destinguish between the two


    whats the difference in english? Its not my native and i was under the impression they are one and the same (the university also being used as an institution)


    In the US, a college is a specific focus of study for a 4 year degree. A university is an institution with 3 or more colleges. There are also 2 year institutions for community colleges and trade schools.


    Oh one learns something new every day.


    It only need to have two colleges/schools to be considered a university. Also, there are universities that only offer undergraduate degrees. I went to a university that had two schools, one for liberal arts and one for business, and was only a four-year undergraduate institution. The schools are part of the same campus and community, I think the only seperation was were some of the funding came from. A liberal arts student could take business courses and vice versa.


    If I am not wrong a university also needs to be able to grant a Masters level degree in at least one field (USA).


    Also, you can go to colleges for PhD and Masters degrees as well as 2-year (Associates)


    Huh, I thought they meant the same thing in American English too. In Britain, college refers to a 16-18 (usually; I did a 3rd year so for me it was 16-19) institution that's kinda a halfway house between school and university


    It's highly context specific as well as country specific. In the UK some educational institutions for children up to 18 are called "colleges" in their name (for historical reasons); many separate educational institutions specialising in 16-18 education are called "colleges" by those attending them (they are often known as "sixth form colleges" - the sixth form being the last two years of school).

    But college is sometimes used for higher and/or further education (i.e. education beyond the years of compulsory school-age education - I am using "school" in the UK sense, rather than the looser US sense). "I went to college" or "I am going to college" could mean a teenager taking her A-levels, but it could also mean someone taking a degree or even higher degree such as a master's.

    Having said all that, "college" is also a term for subdivisions of several universities. For historical reasons in the case of Oxford and Cambridge, where the colleges are separate legal entities from the university and responsibility for teaching is primarily on the college though farmed out to the university. Other more modern universities have copied this model, though sometimes here the "colleges" are not separate legal entities.

    "College" is of course a more general word and in some contexts indicates other groups. Eg the "college of cardinals" who elect the Pope. In the Church of England a cathedral will have a number of associated individuals known as "canons" who are collectively the "college of canons".

    In short: in the UK "college" doesn't provide sufficient information without context.


    The education system in Russia is structured in a similar manner to that of UK. You get a 2 year "Trade" education in a college and 3-5 (depending on the field) in a Uni.


    I know some universities have subdivisions called colleges, like Oxbridge, but don't think I've ever heard a British person say "I went to college" to mean university. In my experience, that use exclusively refers to sixth form colleges


    In Canada, generally you go to university to get an academic degree (bachelors, masters, phd), whereas you go to college for career training and trade diplomas.


    While there can be jargonistic distinctions between "university" and "college" in English, most people end up using the terms interchangeably.


    It varies depending on the country. In the USA, "college" refers to an institution which only offers undergraduate degrees (e.g. the undergrad portion of Harvard is 'Harvard College', which is under the 'Harvard University' umbrella), but they largely interchangeable in the US (e.g. when applying for post-secondary education, we always say that we're completing "college applications", not "university applications"). On the other hand, in Canada, college refers to vocational, trade, or diploma school and university is an institution offering bachelor's, master's, PhD, MD, DMD, DVM, etc. programs, but "college" can also refer to an institution within a university (e.g. the University of Toronto has 7 colleges for undergraduate arts and science students).


    In the US, "college" is generally interchangeable with "university". Whether you attend a college or a university, you would say "I'm in college" (e.g. "I'm a college student at the University of "). But to be more technical, the difference between a college and a university is the highest level of degree they grant. A college only provides bachelors degrees (4 years) whereas a university provides masters (+2 years) and PhDs (+~5 years).


    When I was in school I was told a university is a school that contains multiple colleges. I went to University of the Arts which included the college of media, college of dance, college of music, etc.


    Do not use ''daigakuseitachi'' when you want to talk about university students in general, use ''daigakusei''. ''daigakuseitachi'' is only used when refering to a specific group of university students.


    I almost put university school students based on earlier questions, but then thought, that makes no sense. So glad the duo translation was just university students


    You were lucky! There are at least two of us who pressed enter after writing that. XD


    Same. Now I feel real silly.

    Maybe I should have to pick up English on here too. Haha


    小 small (elementary school) 中 medium/middle (middle school) 高 tall/high (high school) 大 big (university)


    Pronounced だいがく​せいたち "daigakuseitachi"


    The hins says its collage and university can be used but when i write collage it said i was wrong Is it wrong tho???


    The hint is fine; it's spelled "college", though.


    I put "University students" and I get it right, but it says "Another translation: 'college students'". I suppose it was corrected since you did it...


    Daigaku can mean either college or university


    Depends on where you are from. College means more like a high school in New Zealand and Australia, as well as a vocational school (such as teacher's college), but never a university.


    I don't know how to remember that some kanji are pronounced different ways! This has got to be the hardest language in the world :D


    Why must it be pural?


    Because たち is a plural marker.


    I put "University Students" and it was wrong! They say that the correct is "College students". So why university is wrong and the hint shows that i can use both???


    University should be correct. Report it if you encounter this again.


    if i wanted to say how many people there were would i say watashi ta chi des ka?


    how many people there were = 何人だったか


    Thanks, thats very helpful


    I guess "students" must be considered as correct answer, because there is a dedicated word "pupil" which means exactly a schoolboy\schoolgirl. So "student" is the one, who studies in university\institute.


    What is the romaji of 大?


    I kept saying "university school students" and wondering why I was getting it wrong.


    "Brian, how do you make a word plural?" "You put a 'たち.' You put a 'たち' on the end of it." "When?" "uhm... ON WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS"


    If you put "college students" youre marked wrong. In americz english there really isnt a distinction between a university or a college, one just typically costs more but we call them all "college students". I think Duo should fix this. Ive never called someone "university students"


    Should "University school students" be acceptable? It wasn't accepted when I tried it.


    I'm a little confused. I thought たち meant something like "and others"

    Because I was watching anime and they said "Midoriya tachi" and in the subtitles it says "There is Midoriya and the others" so I'm a little confused. i know that the language in anime is generally seen as brutish and isn't always how you would use the word in a real-life situation, but I didn't think that this particular word would be too different from real life.


    You're not wrong, it's just a little more nuanced

    Most nouns on their own can be read as singular or plural just based on context.
    たち is a pluralizing suffix (used mainly only for people or things you want to personify, like animals) to talk about a specific group. Attaching this suffix to a person's name indicates that person and their in-group as used in your example.
    So 大学生 can be "college student" or "college students" in general, but 大学生たち is plural and would be used to refer to a specific group of college students. This is the version you would usually use if "college students" are the subject of the sentence. Like saying "The/a student and others/company/friends"
    When pluralizing in English most nouns have a plural form, but for names we have to write "and others/and friends" to indicate there are others with that person so that is how translators choose to interpret it.


    Tachi for making it plural?


    "University School student" not accepted. What if it's a university lab, university sorority, university torture dungeon? With specific membership?


    As others have mentioned on this page "School" isn't used in combination with "University"
    Words like "Elementary/primary/high/middle/junior" are all adjectives that designate what type of 'school' you go to as the word 'school' could apply to any of those.
    A University is a noun and its own separate institution. You are just a university student. If you want to designate what part of the university you are a student of you would add that as a modifier to 'university', not 'school'.

    Learn Japanese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.