Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/LeMaitre

Fiji Hindi

LeMaitre

I've just found this language I've never heard of before called 'Fiji Hindi'. It's spoken by Fijian citizens of Indian descent. For all fluent Hindi speakers, you'd understand at least 98% of the language, as I just tried to read the article about it on Wikipedia in Fiji Hindi itself. As it says, it has most of its words from Hindi and Urdu. It is also largely influenced by English, Fijian and Bhojpuri, a language spoken in Western Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. It is also influenced by Arabic and a little by Tamil. But it has the Latin script, not the Devanagari script. This quite fascinated me, seeing a language I've never heard of before, and nearly understanding everything in just one glance. So it's a really easy language for Hindi speakers to learn. And so I was just wondering whether there are any Fiji Hindi speakers on Duolingo? And could you'll please tell me a little more about this language?

And I also thought for people interested in learning Hindi, you'll could probably try out Fiji Hindi for a start, as it's closely related to Hindi. The main advantage here is that it has the Latin script, not the Devanagari script as Hindi does, so it wouldn't be a problem reading it. But you have to find a good resource, as I couldn't find any.

4 years ago

0 Comments