1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Japanese
  4. >
  5. "イギリス人です。"


Translation:I am British.

June 25, 2017



I like how much Japanese relies on context, typing in "He is British" or "She is British" is also acceptable, because this could fit different contexts. I know that's a small thing to be fascinated over, but I just thought that was cool.


Watashi wa Igirisujin desu = I am British

Kare wa Igirisujin desu = He is British

Kanojo wa Igirisujin desu = She is British


Grazie tanto Bavesh, thank you very much. Ciao.


I am from uk , that was my answer. ..


The "jin" refers to person so "I am a person of the UK" or "I am British". I am from the UK is a different verb.


But, before it said "Igirisu" was UK, so the only way to put UK into the sentence was saying "I am from the UK".


It is literally 'I am UK person', but 'I am British' is more natural in English


Issue is, you can be from the UK, but not be British. Eg you could be Irish.


But you have to remember, Japanese isn't culturally connected Great Britain or the UK. As important as the distinction might be in English-speaking minds (who are familiar with the politics and history involved), Japanese is simply trying to refer to people from another country. The language doesn't distinguish because (in day-to-day function) it doesn't need to.


They could put their word for Ireland though plus their word for person. Scroll down for that.


If you are from the UK, then you are British. Irish is from the Republic of Ireland. Those from Northern Ireland call themselves British.


When you see 人(じん) in Japanese, it's a nacionality particle, so, it actually means: I'm a person from the UK, so, I'm British, 人 actually means "person" too, and it's read like ひと (Hito)


That is not actully true. While Japanese do construct nationalities by placing 人 next to a country name, that is far from being its most important use. So calling it a "nationality particle" will confuse people when they see it in all sorts of environments where it is not indicating nationality, like in the word 恩人【おんじん】"benefactor; patron" or in the word 管理人【かんりにん】 "janitor; manager."


Yes, it simply means person, as the person above you did also say.


Britain is not the UK, (the UK includes Northern Ireland), therefore the answer is wrong.


I bet they say something different for Ireland. Also, check this out: https://www.quora.com/Do-the-Irish-in-Northern-Ireland-consider-themselves-Irish-or-British Wow, people born in Northern Ireland can have dual citizenship if they wish.

Also, even though Great Britain is the biggest island, Ireland used to be one of what was called “the British Isles.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles


アイルランド, and 北アイルランド is Northern Ireland specifically, and that kanji at the start is pronounced きた in this case.


I have since found out:

ウェールズ = Wales

スコットランド = Scotland

アイルランド = Ireland

イングランド = England

マン島 = Isle of Mann

Of course that last one is a separate country.


Technically, the kanjii 人 means human. So I suppose the sentence directly translates to I am a UK human. This would be weird, though, so you can play with the words a bit and produce I am British. "イギリスしゅっしんです", would be I am from UK, if I'm correct.


I guess it would be accepted if you wrote "I'm from the UK" (as opposed to "I'm from UK") but I'm not sure since Duo still has a few inconsistencies on these "I am..." / "I am from..." exercises.


イギリス means UK, but the character that comes right after it means "person." So you have [UK person am] “I am a British person.” Perhaps they might allow “I am a person from the UK.”


“I am from the UK.” already has two different Japanese sentences already, both of which use a different verb than here.


Oh, I get it. English -> Ingrish -> Igiris(u)


also Deutschland -> doitsurando -> doitsu


This should be i am English. Sorry イギリス, England, is not The United Kingdom but part of it.


イギリス DOES means the United Kingdom. But it can also be used to refer to England (to be specific you could use イングランド). 「イギリス人です」 can be translated, therefore, as both "I'm British" or "I'm English", but "I'm British" is the standard translation. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AE%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9#Japanese https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%82%A4%E3%82%AE%E3%83%AA%E3%82%B9%E4%BA%BA#Japanese


from the wiktionary link, you can see イギリス is from portuguese inglés, which means "English".

Many people in other non-european counties don't understand English is only part of Britain, which is only part of the UK. So they would use the these terms interchangeably.


Yes, however, often words are borrowed into a language and the meaning is changed. You cannot insist on the original meaning of the word in English, if in Japanese it now means “the UK”.


We do, but its a convention that igirisu has become synonymous with the UK


If you're in Japan, an average japanese person is not going to care what section of the UK someone is from. They're looking regionally, thus "england" for UK


I guess just like we say "America" for the US, even though the term refers to a continent, not just one country.


Could 'English' be accepted?


It could, but only to the extent that non-British people often say "English" when they mean "British".


Why would someone write this is Katanaka? Is it because it includes a foreign pronoun: "British"?


Yes, foreign words are written in Katakana イギリス . The next character is kanji 人, because it is borrowed from Chinese. Then, grammatical pieces are in hiragana です.


I put ”イギリス人 人 です” LOL


More than 100 people reported this exact answer for the listening exercise. Everyone, please double-check that you didn't make the same error before reporting!


When to use jin(人)and when to use shusshin(出身)


人 means "person" and is used as a suffix to describe a person - their nationality (as well as race)

出身 means "origin" and is used to describe a location - the origin, the place you have roots in. (this can be country, town, school, parentage)

日本人 - Japanese
日本出身 - From Japan

フランス人 - French
フランス出身 - From France

アメリカ人 - American
アメリカ出身 - From America

A person's nationality and origin may not always be the same place


English and British can mean the same thing so this is confusing


They can't, actually. English and British are not interchangeable, but historically, all of what is currently the UK was often referred to as England (the reasons are complicated but similar to why English speakers often call the Netherlands "Holland").


It is the first time I learn of a Holland/Netherlands difference! Can you explain that?


Holland is one province within the Netherlands - the country is "The Netherlands", Holland is only part of it. However, for much the same reasons, Holland is often used as a term to describe all of it, by English speakers, especially from the UK.


Is there a difference between 人 and しゅしん?


If you were born/grew up in one place but now a citizen of another, yes...though I suspect nobody who didn't grow up in Japan to Japanese parents could ever really get away with claiming they were 日本人


I am confused, the male voice pronounces "人" as "kito", but the female voice pronounces it as "Jin", Why is this?


Kanji can be pronounced a number of different ways based on context and Duolingo's word-by-word pronunciation method doesn't take this into account, often leading to incorrect readings of Kanji.

人 can be read as both "hito" and "jin," though the correct reading here is "jin."


The UK is composed by Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Britain, so being from the UK does not mean to be british only.


Not quite. Britain is a geographical area, and is composed of three countries: England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Ireland is on the island of Ireland, but wants to be aligned with Britain. So, The UK is Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) plus Northern Ireland. The people from Northern Ireland call themselves British. Thus although not everyone in the UK is in Britain (because Northern Ireland isn't) everyone in the UK is British. Don't worry - a lot of British people get confused about this as well!


I was having problems with how the sentence is said, the su of desu seems to be omitted. could someone please explain why this is?


Japanese de-voices certain vowels in certain contexts. "i" and "u" are almost silent when between two voiceless consonants, or follow a voiceless consonant at the end of a word. Thus, "desu" is usually pronounced more like "des," though the "u" IS actually there and can be heard by a trained ear.


Theres something wrong because I hear sushin desu but I needed to put to. So audio doesnt match up with the correct answer. I dont know if its just me but im trying to understand what I hear.


I think this just about the difficulty in following rapid speech with an untrained ear. So you are hearing the end of "Britain" run into "person", i.e. what is being said is igirisu jin desu, but you are hearing igiri sujin desu, because there is no pause between words, and the "j" of "jin" is very soft. This happens in English all the time, but a native speaker doesn't usually have any problem, e.g. "It's a nice house" versus "It's an ice house" (part of a joke). Constant exposure to the sounds will help you gradually to make out the distinctions. Hope this answers the query.


Can someone please write this in english letters please?


igirisujindesu; igirisu - English/british, jin - person, desu - is


I spelt "i am bri'ish"


Even when you pronounce it that way, you still need to spell it correctly.


人 is this character read as ひと or じん? or both?


Depending on its use, one or the other pronunciation wll be used. Especially with Chinese characters, you will have the Chinese pronunciation. For this use of the character after a country name, it is pronounced じん.


Is this supposed to be katakana *England" or does the UK get it's own word


イギリス is derived from the Portuguese word inglês,
It is used for The UK as well as Great Britain
"England" is イングランド ingurando


Bri-ish, the T is silent


Depending on who is speaking...


Why "igirisu" = british?


Why does anything have a particular meaning? This is the word that Japanese borrowed from Dutch and changed the meaning to use as they wished, but the word you put means "the UK" and only means "British" if you add "人" which means "person" by itself.


How does "igirusu" come from "Britain?"


It doesn't, but a word can change meaning over time. The Japanese word for "English" came to mean UK or Great Britain and the Japanese for English person came to mean British. So now they have a different word for England and English person adds the word for person to that.

How far can we stretch it? Would they accept "I am a member of the UK." ? I am betting not as they probably have a different word for "member"or even "citizen".


Not everyone from the uk is British ao idk how that's their correct answer....


イギリス historically meant "England", "Britain", or "Great Britain" but in recent years it has grown to mean "the U.K." A closer approximation would be United Kingdom-er or someone from the U.K, especially if the context is about countries. You can say "Scotland" or "Wales" without mentioning the U.K. in general but be prepared for questions.


People from Ireland would probably use the word for Ireland with the word for person after it.

Learn Japanese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.