1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Duolingo
  4. >
  5. Using "alternative" English w…


Using "alternative" English words in duo answers.

I sometimes find it fun to try other English words in answers to see just what DUO will accept.

I find that most of the time it will accept 'fridge' for 'refrigerator' and 'kids' for 'children.'

I also use the British English words for some things. Like, Behaviour for Behavior, Colour for Color , etc.

Sometimes it is just shorter to use these answers (like fridge) :-)

I recently found out that I can substitute "loo" for "bathroom" :-)

So what other alternate English words have you found? Any Canadian English or Australian English substitutes that I don't know about?

Maybe we need some English to American ... or American to Australian duo courses. :-)

July 7, 2017



hippo for hippopotamus works!


"British English"?

'Ere, just whose language is it anyway, mate?

(just kidding, it shows how wildly successful one tiny country once was when its language becomes so widely adopted :)


I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with "chesterfield." I recall a thread where someone was hoping for (and diligently reporting when applicable) "settee" for "couch" in the Spanish course, with little apparent success.

I've occasionally used "washroom," with good but not universal success.

Feel like it's germane to mention the never-ending confusion about garden (BE) / yard (AE) and the ensuing options for translating foreign equivalents. It can be ever so hard to suss out what the new vocab item actually means, for a translation as "garden" is completely inappropriate for resolving the confusion.


I had noticed the Spanish course using 'sofa' for the English 'lounge chair' Have not tried 'couch' I had also not tried 'washroom' mostly because I usually try to find shorter or easier to type words for replacements. "loo" for 'bathroom' is a huge winner :-)

I will have to try 'yard' in place of garden. I really had not thought about that before. In AE a garden is a specific place where we grow flowers or vegetables and a yard is an open area used for recreation. What we call a yard in AE is a garden in BE. So do the British have a separate name for a space for growing plants??? Thanks, this is exactly the type of thing I was hoping for in this thread :-)


So do the British have a separate name for a space for growing plants???

I suspect you will find this thread of interest :) https://www.duolingo.com/comment/21938300


That was fun :-) I had heard of an allotment before, but I thought that was a section of a public area that could be used for individuals gardening :-)


I have recalled another class of answer to your query: the Dutch course routinely accepts the full complement of you, you guys, you all, and y'all as translations of the second person plural pronoun, not that any of the perhaps-unexpected ones would save you any typing over the most standard one :)


I remember my first huge cultural lesson: other languages besides American English don't call the room where the toilet is THE BATHROOM. Even in American Sign Language, it is THE TOILET. So learning another language really does help you learn your own native language, it gives you understanding of words.


That reminds me of the first time we went to England.... Hired a car at the airport and drove to a small village. My wife had to 'go' and we were looking for a place to stop. We were at first confused by the building that had signs saying "ToLet" :-)


That sounds like fun. I especially like to mess with the Bots on the smartphone app, they will accept all kinds of answers without blinking, and then ignore the answers. I recently had experience with the refridgerator/fridge answer, I think it was my Spanish lesson. The course doesn't like my full spelling of the word (suddenly my words don't work?) so I only use the shortened name. From now on I will try some slang, or other countries' words. Thanks, and here is a lingot


There's no 'd' in 'refrigerator'. That may be why Duo doesn't like it. :)


Doonah is accepted for "duvet" on the German course, at least sometimes (I guess even "duvet" is an "alternative", but I don't know what the North American equivalent would be even though I can usually pick that up from American media).


I think if one is being precise a duvet is simply a duvet. It's the only such thing meant to have a cover. Apparently, "bedspread," the word I "like" the most is actually a general categorization subsuming duvets, comforters, and coverlets, but the simple fact that the site I read that from referenced "coverlet" as a thing not confined to 19th century and earlier literature makes me think it probably wasn't reflecting current American usage :)

Btw, what precisely is a doonah? Google isnt finding any dictionary reference.


One of my Australian friends uses "doona" for duvet.

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.