Interesting that there seems to be a difference between "The Dad" and just "Dad". I'll have to remember that. Could someone explain the difference between "Rijas" and "Rijis" though please?
For example we've translated two sentences:
- Vali azanti rijis - The men are praising the knight.
- Kepa riñe rijas - The Father is praising the girl.
I'm starting to understand now that High Valyrian has a lot of different case endings, for example for man you can have:
- Vala - Man (Nominative)
- Vale - Men (Plural)
- Vali - Man (Accusative)
- Vali (with a macron over the i) - Men (accusative plural)
Go back over a few lessons in Basics 1 and 2 and you should see the difference. This is the same for most words we've learnt: Kepa (father), Muna (mother), Abra (Woman), Rina (Girl), Taoba (Boy) etc.
However, bird and knight work differently:
- Azantys - The knight (nominative)
- Azantyssy - The knights (plural)
- Azanti - The knight (accusative)
- Hontes - The bird (nominative)
- Hontesse - The birds (plural)
- Honti (with a macron over the i) - The bird (accusative)
Hope that's useful!
So I've worked out now that verbs have different endings depending on the pronouns. For example:
- Rijas - She/He/It is praising.
- Rijis - They are praising.
But different verbs have different endings. Have a look at this link for more info: https://wiki.dothraki.org/High_Valyrian_Verb_Conjugation
What I mean is you can have:
Vaaedas - He/She/It is singing - Vaaedis - They are singing
Eedrus - He/She/It is sleeping - Eedrusi - They are sleeping
Liiris - He/She/It is smiling - Liirisi - They are smiling
Nages - He/She/It is sweating - Nagesi - They are sweating
Urnes - He/She/It sees - Urnesi - They see - Urnen - I see
Jorraaelza - She/He/It loves - Jorraaelzi - They love
Ryybas - She/He/It hears - Ryybis - They hear - Ryyban - I hear
Majaqsa - He/She/It is admiring - Majaqis - They are admiring
As far as I can tell so far, the verb endings are based on the last two letters. Hope that's useful and makes sense!
The infinitive form of the verb is: rijagon
v. C-fin. [High Valyrian Verb Tables: Consonant-final] to praise. (cf. rijes.)
From Dothraki Wiki: https://wiki.dothraki.org/High_Valyrian_Vocabulary