Where to next?
Three months almost to the day (26th April 2017 to 28th July), and I have completed the French Tree with a fluency rating of 49%. Now what do I do? Keep on revising?
I certainly do not feel 49% fluent! I joined a club today, but it isn't at all clear to me how to participate in it, and I haven't found any guidance on that yet, either.
Does anyone have a wise word for me?
Step it up and start running! Depending on which direction you want to grow, you could:
- Improve your vocabulary (I use Memrise for that),
- Start reading French articles/books (many free sources on line); translate Fr-En and En-Fr (Immersion used to be a great Duolingo feature, sigh :-( ),
- Start listening (lots of French movies and/or radio stations on line),
- Converse in French; you do need to find the right people for that (sorry I have not used clubs to know how efficient/effective they are in this area),
- A great list of resources can be found at: https://www.duolingo.com/comment/23462458
Thanks for your practical advice, Daniel. I have been using Memrise and reading French novels (I can manage children's books comfortably, but more complex books continue to frustrate me); I have turned my GPS to give road directions in French (which annoys my wife no end). I thought joining a club might let me have some interactions in French, but so far that hasn't panne out. I appreciate your encouragement and will plug on. David
Oh, I don't want to quit - but having completed the last lesson on the tree, ad having all the lessons gold, I am really looking for some direction; do I just redo the different lessons? Is there some systematic way I can work to progress? Should I be looking for something outside Duo, and if so, what?