Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/rockerbox

2nd Duoversary Streak + Advertise Your Language

rockerbox

Tonight I celebrate my second Duoversary with a streak of 730 days! Yay for me! throws confetti, but quietly, as it's late and I live with others

For the occasion, as something that might be fun to do and read, I'm asking you all to try to "advertise" the language you are learning and/or speak. I think it would be fun for others to read if these "advertisements" if they are written in a creative manner, and it would likely be very informative for everyone.

Hope you all have a good day!

1 year ago

6 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Andrealphus
Andrealphus

Hey! Do you want to understand anything I am talking about? Then learn English! Why apart from that? Well, because it just has something for everyone! Do you like education? America and the U.K. have some of the greatest universities on Earth! Do you like gripping entertainment? Well all of our TV shows are probably subbed in your language but isn't the original always better? Do you like vapid nonsense? Because studies I just made up but I am a reputable dealer so they are totally legit say that American reality TV produces enough vapidity to feed or destroy nine times the Earth's population!

Learn French! You will be able to talk to several countries worth of people, so you are bound to find a few friends! Read fascinating philosophy, get a better handle on English as well as the Romance language family, talk down to friends for mispronouncing menu items, figure out where the Treaty of Ver-sails was signed, make strange women think you are fancy, all of these skills and more can be yours for a one time payment of spending a few years becoming fluent in French OR avoiding people who have so you don't get called out!

Ever wanted to get asked over and over why you are learning Arabic? Study Persian! When you get angry about the fact that nobody can tell the difference, you can read some lovely Rumi until somebody asks you where you got your Quran! If you want to indulge in a beautiful culture that nobody in your personal life will understand, Persian is for you! Persian: the hot third cousin of Arabic.

Ever wanted to feel violently assaulted by a language? Well I found success with Vietnamese! The size of the words, the level of cuteness that emits from the word for cat, and the lack of verb conjugation will lure you into a state of comfort before the overwhelming amount of vocabulary and tones throw you in a ditch!

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Lrtward
Lrtward
Mod

Those last two are hilarious.

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/grey236
grey236

Gefeliciteerd!

Dit is het Nederlands; Nederlands wordt door drieëntwintig miljoen sprekers vooral in Nederland, Suriname, en België gesproken (het wordt ook door vijf miljoen mensen als een tweede taal gesproken). Helaas/Gelukkig spreek veel Nederlanders en Belgen het Engels. Ik ken niet waarom ik Nederlands leuk vind, maar ik denk dat het interessant genoeg is dat ik met jullie mag delen en dat jullie deze rare taal leren moeten zou :)

(Enige correcties welkom :) )

Transl:

This is Dutch; Dutch is spoken by 23 million speakers primarily in the Netherlands, Suriname, and Belgium (it is also spoken by 5 million people as a second language). Unfortunately/Fortunately many Netherlanders and Belgians speak English. I don't know why I like Dutch, but I think it's interesting enough to share with y'all and that y'all should learn this weird language :)

Congratulationes tibi ago!

Haec Lingua Latina est; Lingua Latina a nemine loquitur sed cogito linguam miram ac pulchram esse et discere debet. Paucis mensibus fuit cum Linguam Latinam in scholā discerim sic omnes hae sententiae malae sint :)

Transl:

This is Latin; Latin is spoken by no one but I think that is a beautiful and amazing and should be learned. It's been a few months since I have learned Latin in school so these sentences may all be wrong :)

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/NeonMoogle
NeonMoogle

Congratulations! I'm almost at my two year streak as well!

Hallo! Wie geht's? Are you looking for a new language to learn? Do you want to understand one of the most widely spoken languages in Europe? Are you American and want to impress your peers who most certainly have only studied Spanish in school? Do you like languages with three genders, four cases, and plurals that have almost no rhyme or reason to them? Then look no further than German! It is a Germanic language (kinda) similar to English: there are quite a few cognates in the languages to make your life easier! Deutsch also features capitalization for ALL nouns and ridiculously long compound words! If you are up to the challenge, you can make German your second (or third, fourth) language! Viel Glück und Tschüss!

Disclaimer: Keep in mind that Swiss German (spoken in Switzerland, obviously) does not look or sound at all like Standard German. Mark Twain's essay "The Awful German Language" is an accurate depiction of learning German. This advertiser is not responsible for any headaches related to learning this language.

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Hedwigechouette
Hedwigechouette

Well done rockerbox. Impressive commitment! Hope you don't mind me asking, but as a newbie, I've noticed the app keeps on going on about a streak of a few days [for me] and I haven't worked out the significance or benefit of this [apart from the fact that obviously to make significant improvement the more regular the practice the better]. I guess what I'm driving at is that the app kept suggesting I pay about 5 bucks so I didn't lose a 4 day streak. Now why would I do that? What benefit would I get/ what have I lost by not paying it?

1 year ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Andrealphus
Andrealphus

I know that I am not the one who you asked, but I have been around since before Duolingo became the behemoth it is now so I feel somewhat qualified to answer. As far as I can see it doesn't help you in any way but to recover your pride, but Duolingo is expensive to run. Since they want to keep it free, as the concept of education being available to as many people as possible being a huge reason for the site, they have to find ways to keep cash flow.

1 year ago